• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness for softbills?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hello, I have a softbill (chestnut breasted malkoha) that stick with me wherever I go around the house. He acts almost like a toucan although insectivorous/carnivorous and tend to chase every single moving thing that’s small.

He is very hyper and jumps around everywhere, how should I put the harness on him? he does know recall but does not stay still for long after. Any tips on how to put them on maybe from someone who has a hyper feathered friend too?
Baby pics!
899ECE4D-0F8B-444E-A399-1E3AE00B2756.jpeg EC74CB20-D393-4355-B433-3B74FC7B4F41.jpeg

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
I do know about the harness, but he’s so so so cute!

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I’m not sure you can train softbills as good as parrots. But i imagine it would take a lot of time. There are some good posts about harness training on these forums, maybe you can follow one of those. Just search for “harnass” and you should get plenty of results to choose from :)

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I do know about the harness, but he’s so so so cute!
I think so too! although he does make eerie noises (at least what people have told me) :laugh:.
I’m not sure you can train softbills as good as parrots. But i imagine it would take a lot of time. There are some good posts about harness training on these forums, maybe you can follow one of those. Just search for “harnass” and you should get plenty of results to choose from :)
Thanks! I did harness train some of my parrots but im not sure how to make him stay still long enough.