• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hard time picking!

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Parrots are amazing and complex creatures that i am utterly in awe of, only problem I DONT HAVE ONE! And i dont know who would suit me the best.i cannot have a cockatoo, cockatiel, budgie or lovebird for family reasons. I would prefer a larger or medium bird that can deal with being left alone during work hours but played with non stop all spare time mornings and evenings. Obviously with distractions and possibly tv/ radio. I do have other pets but they are bunnies and guinea pigs who have their own room. And hopefully a bird that will at minimum ignore a future baby.
Ideas ive had but didnt feel quite right with were:
Eclectus
African grey
Senegal
Caique
Bourke
Moustache parakeet
Derbyan
And a few others that i cannot think of off the top of my head
P.s i have experience with feisty birds, i can deal with mess, complicated diets, big birds and bites! But not from a macaw beak i dont really want a macaw though yikes!
I know that this is alot of information but ive been researching for YEARS since i was 7! I know what im getting into i just need some advise + tips

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Why no Amazons? Medium small to medium big.
Most are very good at entertaining themselves, and also love LOVE interaction with their people.
Not the best for cuddling though.
Many are pretty much, you want to give me a pet? OK, hug me...how dare you!
I think for working folk, Amazons rule!
Funny, engaging, dramatic, noisy too though.
And the perfect size. :)
I love me an Amazon.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Why no Amazons? Medium small to medium big.
Most are very good at entertaining themselves, and also love LOVE interaction with their people.
Not the best for cuddling though.
Many are pretty much, you want to give me a pet? OK, hug me...how dare you!
I think for working folk, Amazons rule!
Funny, engaging, dramatic, noisy too though.
And the perfect size. :)
I love me an Amazon.
I do like amazons i get recomended licac crowned ones alot, but theyre not very popular here what do you think about blue fronted and yellow crowned ones? Any tips on trip home first day home?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Bluefronts are one of the hot three. Yellow Naped, Double Yellow Headed and Bluefronts are infamous for hormonal aggression.
Just something to aware of.
Lilac Crowns are awesome, stable, sweet and easy going! Mealy's are big and gentle.
Mexican red heads are smaller and little love packs. also call Green cheeks.
So many are just perfect companions.
All have that Amazon spice, just not on the level of the 3 above.
That spice is IMO what makes them so special.
Birds that wear their heart on their sleeve, and the body language is shouted at you.
I've not known many Yellow Crowns. I think they're medium spice.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Oops, sorry, just saw that question.
IMO it's up to the bird.
Some will be ready to come out and explore and get to know you.
Some will be like 'No Way!'
Some will morn their old homes and owners, and appreciate a slower get to know you period.
Just go at the birds pace and let them make most of the first moves.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
S
Bluefronts are one of the hot three. Yellow Naped, Double Yellow Headed and Bluefronts are infamous for hormonal aggression.
Just something to aware of.
Lilac Crowns are awesome, stable, sweet and easy going! Mealy's are big and gentle.
Mexican red heads are smaller and little love packs. also call Green cheeks.
So many are just perfect companions.
All have that Amazon spice, just not on the level of the 3 above.
That spice is IMO what makes them so special.
Birds that wear their heart on their sleeve, and the body language is shouted at you.
I've not known many Yellow Crowns. I think they're medium spice.
im not really a fan of hormonal aggression and those two are the only two available here yikes any other birds other than amazons sadly
African greys?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Have you checked at rescues and even craigslist?
Just be careful on craigslist, but there's usually lots of birds being rehomed.
I'm just guessing you're in the US. If not, I guess craigslist won't help much.

Greys are another great bird.
You have the larger Congo and the smaller Timneh to chose between.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Have you checked at rescues and even craigslist?
Just be careful on craigslist, but there's usually lots of birds being rehomed.
I'm just guessing you're in the US. If not, I guess craigslist won't help much.

Greys are another great bird.
You have the larger Congo and the smaller Timneh to chose between.
Yeah im in australia, we have gumtree which is similar. But i just cant find any amazon but those two!:(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I've know a few of the hot three that were nice birds and never went bonkers.
Others....well there's threads on here about them! lol
Males are the worst, but that's like saying a cheetah's bite is not as bad as a lions.
You don't want either!
Go meet what ever birds are around, you may be surprised at what you fall in love with.

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Yeah im in australia, we have gumtree which is similar. But i just cant find any amazon but those two!:(
Scratch that id need a fancy licence to have an african grey in Australia, dang!
What about white fronted amazon?

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
what exactly are you looking for? I know a few people in vic and nsw I can ask about amazons if they are what you’re looking for.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Scratch that id need a fancy licence to have an african grey in Australia, dang!
I don’t believe you need a licence for an African Grey.
Have you looked at the PSOA? They have registered breeders advertising sale of birds. There were African greys on there a while back. Not sure about now. I’ll post a link for them in a minute

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Are there any rescues or pet stores where you could meet some birds? I've always enjoyed seeing and hearing about Pionus, Jardines, Eclectus, and Grey's. We have larger Conure called a Nanday that we enjoy, but they are loud!

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
I
i found a lilac but hes an aviary bird do i have a chance at taming it?
I REALLY want an eclectus but I recently found out that the oils from our skin damage their feathers alot and i dont think id be able to refrain from giving scriches but i might.. itd be hard but i could do it

Last edited:

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
Are there any rescues or pet stores where you could meet some birds? I've always enjoyed seeing and hearing about Pionus, Jardines, Eclectus, and Grey's. We have larger Conure called a Nanday that we enjoy, but they are loud!
I plan on going to meet some at a local store soon but they dont have african greys :(

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors
I don’t believe you need a licence for an African Grey.
Have you looked at the PSOA? They have registered breeders advertising sale of birds. There were African greys on there a while back. Not sure about now. I’ll post a link for them in a minute
I have been searching for hours and ive found conflicting evidence regarding the license:
Yet others tell me otherwise is there any african grey owners in Victoria australia who can give me a definitive answer?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

This should answer your question about licencing......as far as I am aware they are not needed, however, if at any time there is a reason you need to prove your bird is legal then you will want breeder information and all past history for that bird to be able to prove it was not illegally brought in to the country.

If this does not answer your question to your satisfaction then I suggest you call the Department of Agriculture and have a quick chat with them (they are fairly helpful) to clear your mind about the legalities. I was in this exact same situation you are now in before I got Burt and went through the conflicting information myself and it was ever so draining to get to the point where I finally found out the Department of Agriculture was the place for the correct information. I am not sure but I do believe the CITES list rules have had some recent changes so that may impact?

Let me know how you go :)

Izzybee

Meeting neighbors

This should answer your question about licencing......as far as I am aware they are not needed, however, if at any time there is a reason you need to prove your bird is legal then you will want breeder information and all past history for that bird to be able to prove it was not illegally brought in to the country.

If this does not answer your question to your satisfaction then I suggest you call the Department of Agriculture and have a quick chat with them (they are fairly helpful) to clear your mind about the legalities. I was in this exact same situation you are now in before I got Burt and went through the conflicting information myself and it was ever so draining to get to the point where I finally found out the Department of Agriculture was the place for the correct information. I am not sure but I do believe the CITES list rules have had some recent changes so that may impact?

Let me know how you go :)
Thanks for the site love the name burt:heart:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I hope the site is helpful for you. :)

Hahaha
I love how often I try to type Burt and my phone autocorrects it to Butt. The opposite often happens when I type butt :roflmao: