• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Hard abdomen.acting lethargic

Bluecrew

Moving in
I really don't know if this is the right place to post this.apologies if not. I'm devastated.my budgie is 4 years old and his name is Bowie. He eats zupreem pellets but I've been giving him seed again in the past day. Bowie has dealt with some air sac issues and has had his airsac on his chest drained twice.nothing but air.. he also had an abcess pop up after all this where he was stuck.he started acting lethargic yesterday so I took him in the same day to the vet.his abdomen was hard to the touch and purple and blue and distended. Its always distended due to the air sac issues but was told it would absorb itself eventually.the vet said its an infection from the air sac and there's nothing she can do but euthanize him if he loses 2 more grams..I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience.i don't know what to do.hes lost 6 grams in the last 2 months. His abdomen wasn't hard to the touch until yesterday overnight after he fell off his perch to the bottom of his cage.he has problems balancing due to the swelling of the air sac issue. He was taking baytril and meloxicam for 2 months. Hes now on TMS and meloxicam as a last shot.i noticed today his poop dried almost chalky/dusty looking. Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm very sorry that your baby is so darned sick. The only thing I can think of is that the air sac infection wasn't caught soon enough and/or the original antibiotic was nor the correct one for the bacteria present.

It sounds as if he is terribly dehydrated. You need to get fluids into him. The SMP TMZ is a good antibiotic and will take care of MRSA if that is what it is.

I'm hoping for the very best for your bird.

Bluecrew

Moving in
I'm very sorry that your baby is so darned sick. The only thing I can think of is that the air sac infection wasn't caught soon enough and/or the original antibiotic was nor the correct one for the bacteria present.

It sounds as if he is terribly dehydrated. You need to get fluids into him. The SMP TMZ is a good antibiotic and will take care of MRSA if that is what it is.

I'm hoping for the very best for your bird.
Thank you so so much. I'll continue giving him that antibiotic and I'll call my vet to see what I can do about fluids.i have noticed he hasn't been drinking enough since 3 days ago.your words give great comfort in a time of need.