• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Valentines Day to Me! I'm getting a baby!

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Aww! those are cool looking! Thanks for educating me! I like the turquoise variations o.o But only because I'm biased towards cool colors and tones in general. I also dislike red as a rule of thumb - and don't only refer to birds, but clothing, accessories, flowers, items... basically if it's red, I'll try my best to avoid it, unless i can eat it (strawberries, cherries, watermelon, so on) :rofl::rofl: yes, I know I'm weird.
Me too! But I learned something cool about parrots yesterday.

So generally, animals with red, yellow, and orange pigments rely on carotenoids to produce those pigments. And though parrots consume carotenoids in their diet and need them for good health, they do NOT use them to produce those colors in their feathers. Instead they rely on a pigment found no where else in nature. Scientists' current best theory is that they produce the pigments themselves somehow.

So I can appreciate the red a little more knowing it's a scientific oddity.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow, just checked out her website, great info and recipes I will definitely give a try to. Her way of socializing reminds a lot of the place I got Bailey from :DThanks for the link!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Awww cute babies, congratulations! :starshower1:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congratulations!!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
I got an email from my breeder this morning. The first GCC clutch of the season has hatched! I've been agonizing over what color mutation I want. So when my breeder offered one of these babies to reserve I decided to just let this be fate's choice. So I'll be getting either a pineapple or a high red pineapple as that's what all the babies in this clutch will be. If all goes well I'll get my baby at the end of April!
yayy!! our birds will be so close in age! my tiel is only about 3 weeks older than yours! i’ll be getting mine in probably end of march!
E13EB13C-3A9D-42F6-8D5C-49AECEA7A1F0.jpeg

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
Starting to get fluffy!

A GCC is my top some-day bird (I have toooo many animals to care for right now, or I wouldn't wait!). I really want to do what you're doing, get a young one from a breeder who will raise them up to be friendly from the start. It'll be fun to follow along and see how it goes for you!

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
@TinyDino omg! they are so cute!! they’ll grow so fast!! are you allowed to go visit them? in my city we’re not allowed to visit unless we call ahead of time, instead we call the place and they text pictures.

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
@TinyDino omg! they are so cute!! they’ll grow so fast!! are you allowed to go visit them? in my city we’re not allowed to visit unless we call ahead of time, instead we call the place and they text pictures.
I'm in a different province so visiting wouldn't be an option even if it weren't for Covid. But my breeder does do Zoom meetings.

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
Starting to get fluffy!

A GCC is my top some-day bird (I have toooo many animals to care for right now, or I wouldn't wait!). I really want to do what you're doing, get a young one from a breeder who will raise them up to be friendly from the start. It'll be fun to follow along and see how it goes for you!
I'm usually very strict about adopt don't shop for my pets but since this is my first time having a parrot larger than a budgie I felt I should leave rehoming to the more experienced parronts. Someday I'd like to adopt one of the birds with a longer lifespan. I wouldn't want a baby because I don't want to worry about what will happen when they outlive me. But I'm hoping I have at least another 30 years to go so a GCC shouldn't outlive me.

And yeah, I searched all over for a really excellent breeder I felt I could trust. I'm paying a lot more because we have to fly my bird here but the breeders I found in my city just seemed so sketchy.

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
I'm in a different province so visiting wouldn't be an option even if it weren't for Covid. But my breeder does do Zoom meetings.
oh yeah, hard to find bird places near you. I live in a fairly large city so the closest bird stores are like 30 mins away from me. doing Zoom meetings is such a good idea! we only get a couple photos, i’d love even a video to be able to capture his personality a bit better but they are quite busy and the birds are only there on weekends

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
oh yeah, hard to find bird places near you. I live in a fairly large city so the closest bird stores are like 30 mins away from me. doing Zoom meetings is such a good idea! we only get a couple photos, i’d love even a video to be able to capture his personality a bit better but they are quite busy and the birds are only there on weekends
I totally relate. My breeder’s also not doing visits to be safe.
I always end up bugging them for photos/videos a couple times a week to get to “know” my little girl.

The wait is so hard! :faint:

ringotiel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
vida
I totally relate. My breeder’s also not doing visits to be safe.
I always end up bugging them for photos/videos a couple times a week to get to “know” my little girl.

The wait is so hard! :faint:
haha me too! i always have to call them like twice to get a photo. my breeder has a hand feeder who takes the babies home during the week so they’re only there on the weekends!

luckily i only have 2-4 weeks left!!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
DNA results are in!

I'm getting a female! Her name is Ozma.

Painting for fun. (Can't wait until I can start painting my actual bird instead of random pineapple green cheeks.)

View attachment 377030
Congratulations on your girlie! And what a beautiful drawing. Can’t wait till our girls are home.. :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations!!! How exciting :starshower: Your painting is incredible!