• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HAPPY TO TALK ABOUT MY "ELLIE"

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
g'day, from Australia, i have owned ELLIE (Kakariki) FOR ABOUT 9 MONTHS AND SHE HAS LAYED 33 INFERTILE EGGS WHICH INCLUDES 25 IN HER LAST SPELL. I CURRENTLY HAVE HER SITTING ON 5 AND AM NEARLY AT 5 DAYS EGG FREE. HOW LONG SHOULD I LET HER SIT ON THESE BEFORE I TAKE THEM AWAY??? AS I FEEL SHE MAY NOT BE SO RANDY AT PRESENT,,??

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
ELLIE JUST NEVER STOPS LAYING. PRESENTLY I AM LETTING HER SIT ON HER LAST 5 AND FINGERS CROSSED SHE IS NEARLY A WEEK CLEAR OF LAYING WHICH IS A RELIEF AFTER 25 OVER PAST 8 WEEKS.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What steps have you taken to halt the egg laying?

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
So far i have followed advice of reducing feed , reducing daylight hours, stopped showing affection( so hard for me to do). Presently I have left her in her box with 5 eggs and she seems happy tending to them and has not laid any for about one week. She also has stopped her amorous ways of presenting herself to me, fingers crossed as I think I will leave her with her eggs another week and see how she reacts to me taking them, what do you think??

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Her box??
You do not want her reacting to you taking the eggs- she needs to give up on them so you’ll leave them till she abandons them

If you have a nest box you really need to throw it away as soon as she finally abandons these last eggs.

After she abandons these eggs (do not go and remove them till she looses interest in them) you’ll remove the box, totally rearrange her cage and ensure she’s getting enough sleep hours.

The amount of eggs your bird has laid is terribly high which is very very dangerous for her health.

@Zara will hopefully give you some more detailed information to assist

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
33 eggs in 9 months is alarming! I don´t know how many are in a clutch but this sounds very unhealthy to me.
The nest needs removing, and I would be speaking with your vet about some sort of hormonal implant or injection and exploring medical options.

@Mark & Da Boyz

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
Her box??
You do not want her reacting to you taking the eggs- she needs to give up on them so you’ll leave them till she abandons them

If you have a nest box you really need to throw it away as soon as she finally abandons these last eggs.

After she abandons these eggs (do not go and remove them till she looses interest in them) you’ll remove the box, totally rearrange her cage and ensure she’s getting enough sleep hours.

The amount of eggs your bird has laid is terribly high which is very very dangerous for her health.

@Zara will hopefully give you some more detailed information to assist
IamHAPPY SHE HAS NOT LAID ANYTHING FOR OVER A WEEK NOW AND I AM MISSING THE CONSTANT ATTENTION FROM HER AS SPENDS MOST OF THE TIME WITH HER EGGS. LAST TIME I TOOK EGGS AND NESTING BOX FROM HER SHE WOULD LAT THEM IN RANDOM SPOTS AND NOT TEND TO THEM. I AM GLAD SHE IS ATTENDING TO THEM NOW AND HOPEFULLY SHE WILL LOSE INTEREST AS I MISS HER WAITING AT THE WINDOW FOR ME TO GET BACK TO HER . STEVE

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You really should not want her to tend to unfertile eggs tbh because you should not want her laying at all, it is definitely best to leave her for now till she abandons the eggs though.

Once she is showing no interest in the eggs you really should remove the nest box, rearrange her cage and living areas and do all you can to really discourage the laying including booking an avian vet appointment to speak about possible medical intervention to stop the chronic laying. Laying eggs is very taxing on their health and bodies and quite often heavy layers die young from complications of egg laying, while tending to eggs they are not getting exercise which is very important to health and some birds do not eat properly (while tending to eggs) without the partner there to feed them.

I hope you consider doing a search on AA's Egg Layers Expressway forum area to find content related to chronic egg laying- it is a very serious (and deadly) medical situation that needs proper intervention to lessen the behaviour.

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
Hey there, I dont know where my posts go as all this tech stuff is new to me. Ellies persistence with her eggs is sending her bald and I worry that this may irritate her skin. Any ideas as i am so close to confiscting her eggs?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I recommend taking your bird to the vet and having her looked at and a good chat about treatments and solutions for the egg laying moving forward.

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
:hello1:Gday, ELLIE is still sitting on her eggs but starting to venture out more which is pleasing, any ideas on when she will leave her eggs, and realize that nothing will hatch from them?:jawdrop1::sad9::bvryafd::tease::greet2: born on 29/5/66 so expecting well wishes, STEVE

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
g,day, it is now 3 weeks that ellie has been sitting on her eggs ,admittedly she is starting to leave the nest more often. Is this a sign that she will soon be leaving those eggs permanently. pleae somebody replie!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you contacted your avian vet to talk about your birds chronic egg laying?

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
hey Shez thanks for the advice , ELLIE puts herself to bed on a perch in the dark from 7pm till about 7.30 the next morning when she hears that i am up. She gets all clucky and then she assumes the position. When I used to leave the room she would stop but the past 2 days she continues on her merry way. I know that I should start putting her in her cage but I feel like a scoundrel as she carries on when I do this and like a spoilt kid bangs herself against it.I realize that I have to be tough on her but I feel so bad when she starts her whimpering. I am just an old softie:):D