• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Happy Huts"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Cookie sleeps in hers every night, but lately I've been hearing so many horror stories about how dangerous they are.. I want to take it away from her so she doesn't get hurt.. but i feel so BAD! she loves it, i haven't seen her sleep anywhere else, and i can't imagine her perched anywhere and not all cuddled up!.. she likes having a cozy little place to sleep in..

what do you guys think? I check it all the time for loose threads.. but i have never seen ONE thread.. do they all have them?

Where do your conures sleep?

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I know what you mean! thats what I'm feeling.. she adores is.. but i've heard so many stories of people coming home to find their birdies with strings strangling them, and getting chewing holes through them and getting their heads stuck.. even when the owners check for strings every day..

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
My birds love their huts and I wouldn't give them up. Just keep checking for tears.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I dont want to.. but a rip could happen SO quickly! when i`m at school.. sleeping.. and these stories I hear are from people who check very regularly, and it still happens..

Anybodie`s conures sleep anywhere besides a hut.. lol

(my question mark is not working! its coming up as a É. *pouts*)

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Just make sure the hut is well maintained,no loose threads ect and all should be well,also keep those nails trimmed! nice and smooth so there is no fear of snagging..

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I don't think my lovie would go to sleep ever again without hers! My tiel and budgie don't use theirs.

Becca0406

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rebecca
Both my conure and now my Kakariki use theirs every night now that it is getting colder. They absolutely love their Happy Huts. I was thinking of ordering a couple more to have on hand.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
I would go ahead and leave it, and like others said just keep it maintained and replace if needed. I only have one bird that uses a tent and thats my WBC.

But he loves it!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Leila's (GCC) happy with her happy hut and laying in it all the time.. I think it'd break her heart if I took it away.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
I would say it depends on the type of happy hut. For example, we've never had any problems with the more fleecy type ones like Scooter Z's Reversible Tent Medium or Scooter Z's Soft Tent Tropical Medium . But I hear the more fuzzy they are, the more likely they are to get strings and ragged. That's just my thought. Our birds love the Scooter Z's and we love them too because they are so easy to clean!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
thanks for the reassurement, guys! Hers is more fleecy and i have never seen threads, so Im thinking if i keep checking it as many times a day as i do, it will be fine :)

Those birdie binkies look great, though! i wonder if i could make one somehow..

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Well I don't like the foux fur happy huts, they are not good as threads come off easy.. plus they are hard to wash. I made my conure a fleece happy hut, they are very easy to make. If your not hady with the sewing machine you can purchase ones:
These ones are completely fleece but I think they are better then the ones sold in petco/petsmart, th ename brand happy huts.
foster and smith:
Bird huts: Bird bunker nest-like hut at Drs. Foster & Smith

Pet solutions:
Snuggle Hut, Accessories | Pet Solutions

windy city parrot:
Bedding: WindyCityParrot.com, Bird Food, Parrot Food, Parrot Cages,Bird Cages, Aviaries, Bird Toys

and I'm not sure if she still makes these but I'll post in-case anybody wants to check her out, she makes EXCELLENT huts! they are really great and withstand much abuse!
Clyde's Cubbies

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Mine both have fleece huts and would be crushed if I took them away. I check them frequently and have had to replace one in 2 years that Tango chewed the loop off that you hang it from.

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
All of my birds had happy huts and none of them would sleep in them. They all just have a perch they sit on and snuggle into a part of the cage :(
Silly baby birds, surely a soft warm hut is better than the bars of a cage.

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Keahi loves his as well.

I agree with everyone else, leave it, keep watching, keep the nails trimmed. I've never seen a loose thread on one either. I usually replace them for being chewed up before they wear out.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
my conures sleep on a perch

Gumby sleeps in a hut only because it does not cause her to become a nesty Female- thats why none of the other birds have them

I've had Gumby since July 2008 and She just got her Happy Hut maybe 2 months ago, In the year and half I've owned her she's laid 3 eggs (one the night we got her) and never paid a bit of mind to them- unless you consider her using them as soccer balls paying attention to them.

and she has not laid a single egg since she's had a hut , she doesn't get defensive over it either she only pays attention to it when she is ready to go to bed for the night, or when she's playing on her swing she'll bite at it LOL

but The rest of the birds don't get them - They'd use them for a nest box

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
When we got Jill two weeks ago she did not have a happy hut. I bought her one 5 days ago and sure enough that very night she slept in it :D

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
LOL! it seems like everyone's conures here use huts (except yours, atvchick :p ) .. I'll probably be keeping the one she has now in there, but when its ruined i don't think I'll replace it.. I'll get like one of those birdie binkie things or make a nice spot around a perch..

Status
Not open for further replies.