• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Hut/Cozy

ghostpress

Moving in
Real Name
Lucia
So I've read in bird psychology articles and general advice for parrot owners that there needs to be somewhere safe for the bird to escape to or sleep in, preferably separate from the main foraging areas, and high up for security. When I got my conure, her breeder gave me a happy hut, and when I asked him about the hormonal risks I'd also read about, he said he hadn't had any trouble with it, or heard anything about it. I took the happy hut anyway, because of course I wanted only the best for my new babe, but I'm having second thoughts now after continued research.

I'm wondering, because I'm getting some mixed reviews, are happy huts actually safe? If not, what other "safe spaces" do your birds' cages have in them, if at all?

When I read about the dangers of happy huts, I took it out of her cage, and she's been fine with sleeping on one of the natural perches. Is this good enough, or should I do more?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A member here recently lost a bird due to crop impaction from happy hut fibres. In my opinion, a happy hut is definitely not safe. A perch is just fine for sleeping. I provide a flat perch for my birds for sleeping.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I don't keep it in Sherbie's cage, because she's hormonal, but you can use seagrass mats (most vendors here have them) and tie the ends together with paper chord to make a tunnel. Lasts for a long time and completely chewable. You can hang bits of toys off of it too.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Pvc tubes, seagrass houses or tunnels made from the mats and even just a perch up high surround by hanging toys are much safer. I just looked it up and it says that in the wild green cheeks sleep in holes in trees. If this is the case a nestbox would serve as a secure and somewhat natural roosting box.

My caiques all sleep in their boxes year round. When I have baby caiques they all love to sleep in a jolly ball together once they are out of the brooder.

Caiques.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Laure can that jolly ball be hung in the cage? I imagine on the floor it would get covered with droppings.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Laure can that jolly ball be hung in the cage? I imagine on the floor it would get covered with droppings.
Yes, check with Jan at Blu's bird toys she is a vendor here. If she doesn't have one I can make another suggestion.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks Laurie. Can you tag her for me please?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I really think it depends on the individual bird. Tango has slept in a hut for 10 years and I have never had an issue with him ingesting any fibers

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am not willing to take the risk of having a hut in the cage.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i think their name should be changed to The not so happy hut. bad idea to have these things for birds and do they come with a warning label attatched? there is something called the chube, may be worth checking it out, i dont have one but i might look into it.