• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy home?

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Привет парни!

I admit ive been a dog guy for years, we have a heap of french bulldogs and im used to them. So naturally, having a lovebird is...quite new. Though ive wanted birds on and off for years and decided to take the plunge. So im making tis thread just to be sure my little Tolstoy has a good home. I name my pets after russian figures >.> *is a slight Russophile*. Hes a young male, cant be older than a few months as his peach..color is still quite pale. Ive had him since the 18th or sept

cage and location.
in the living room against a window, blinds are always closed though. Fairly large, cant remember its exact dimensions. But he has good space to flutter around. His cage is right behind me and the computer, where i pretty much always am.

food.
right now he has a basic seed mix in his cage and hes eating well ( when hes not throwing it everywhere)ive been offering carrot and eating some in front of him. Also bits of apple. But he hasnt tried either.

toys.
hes got a few toys in his cage. He likes swinging on this colorful perch thing with bells and generally climbing all over that.

Taming
One of his wings are clipped. My mums friend did this, and she thinks one is enough. Anyway he can readily eat millet from my hand, even if i hold the main part sideways in my fingers. Though he doesnt really come for it. He doesnt freak out when i put my hands in the cage, so i can change food and water without drama. He cant step up just yet though, he just backs away from my fingers and the perch, or flies to the other side of the cage when unbalanced. My mother got some bead things to put in the doorways of the room, since my house is rather open plan, and im gonna open the cage later, watch sometv and put millet and food on the coffee table and see how he acts. I may have to towel him back in the cage though. Though i can wheel his into this small bathroom...maybe. Though i dont know if he will come out due to the small size of the room.

anyway, is there any suggestions anyone can give me as to the above points, i really love the little featherbutt, and i want to make sure hes happy and healthy. Any suggestions are welcome <3. Also questions. I dont know if i missed anything so questions too!

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
When you want him to go back in the cage (if he even comes out in the first place) let him see you put another piece of millet in the cage, he might go in himself.;)

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Welcome to the wonderful world of lovebirds. You are on the right track. One thing I think should be changed, however, is the one wing clip. Not recommended. Both wings should match. And you might try adding pellets to what you are already offering. Lovebirds reportedly prefer veggies to fruit but I have had those that prefer fruit. Go figure. My current lovie likes broccoli, carrots, cantellope, and a little apple. My previous lovie liked blueberries, corn, brown rice, most cooked pasta, quinoa, and scrambled eggs. Also Avi-cakes and NutriBerries. If he won't eat the veggies, try varried sizes, shapes, raw or steamed...presentation sometimes matters. Slow and steady is the way to win his trust. They are wonderful little birds!

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Hi there! :) I would look up the dangers of one-side wing clipping.. It's a completely outdated method and is heavily advised against by vets and knowledgeable bird people as well. The one side clip can cause the bird to lose balance and land on his keel (chest) bone, which can break upon impact. If wings must be clipped, they must be clipped evenly on both sides for balance sake, and only enough to allow a smooth glide to the floor. The bird should never drop like a rock.

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
I knew about the one clipping thing. I told that to mums friend but mum started screaming at me about questioning decisions. HAH

Yeah, I plan to get some pellets. And I stopped by the grocery store today and got some brocolli. Will prepare that later on and see if he tries it.

EDIT: well he has started doing something interesting, when i attempt step up training, i hold the millet between my thumb and hand and extend my fingers. Usually he backs away from it, but recently he has started touching my finger, the one i want him to step up on, with his beak. forgive me if im wrong, but is this a good sign, like hes testing if my finger is an perch thats not out to kill him?

EDIT2: also he beak grinds...a lot...i read that means hes a happy birdy. so I guess im doing something right in taking care of him i hope :o:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree with the one wing clip, bad idea. How about letting his wings grow out? Birds can be "tamed" without clipping their wings.
I would do some more research on diet, definitely. I do not agree with giving Nutriberries or Avicakes. They have some ingredients I do not like, such as propylene glycol.
Sometimes presentation makes a difference when it comes to trying new foods. Some people put the new foods over the regular foods, so they have to pick through to get at it. The addition of pellets, mashes, chop, birdy bread, other veggies, should be considered. Seeds alone can cause issues later in life, usually renal issues. No need to prepare the broccoli other than cutting it, and clipping it to the cage for him to pick off the florets. It can however be added to and baked in the birdy bread. That is how I get my birds to eat some veggies they otherwise wouldn't.You might also try clipping a wet romaine leaf to the cage. Hard to resist for some. The chop can be a good addition, as the pieces are so small they benefit from all of it by eating a little. Fruit is ok in moderation, it is loaded with sugar so it shouldn't be a main part of the diet.

Muz

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Muz
I'd get the wing clipping sorted out ASAP; it's dangerous, my lovebird has never been wing clipped and it's as tame as they come.

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
My sister did the wing clip, and a really good job of it too! :o:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I knew about the one clipping thing. I told that to mums friend but mum started screaming at me about questioning decisions. HAH

Yeah, I plan to get some pellets. And I stopped by the grocery store today and got some brocolli. Will prepare that later on and see if he tries it.

EDIT: well he has started doing something interesting, when i attempt step up training, i hold the millet between my thumb and hand and extend my fingers. Usually he backs away from it, but recently he has started touching my finger, the one i want him to step up on, with his beak. forgive me if im wrong, but is this a good sign, like hes testing if my finger is an perch thats not out to kill him?

EDIT2: also he beak grinds...a lot...i read that means hes a happy birdy. so I guess im doing something right in taking care of him i hope :o:
These are both good signs.

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
HAH.

I had to post this. It made me crack up. Normally tolstoy doesnt give a damn about any of his toys. I went to the pet store today and got the pellets (Vetafarm brand) and a couple more toys. I bought some ropey thing with blocks on it.

I put it in there, go to the bathroom, I go back to see Tolstoy freaking losing it on the rope, chewing at it, spinning and yelling at it. It was great xD.

So I'm gonna try pellets tomorrow when I replace his seed. Right now he has some finely chopped carrots on top of his seed. And a stick by his favorite perch. I can't find much fruit and veg in the fridge and i couldnt stop by the grocery store. Suggestions how much seed and pellet each day in the bowl??

EDIT: Asking because I see people with the most complicated schedules and set ups for feeding their birds. Its quite intimidating, especially those mashes, mum keeps telling me to just dump a heap of seed and pellet in the bowl and im like "aha...no...that...really cant be right"

EDIT2: also wheeling the birdcage into the bathroom to let him out and explore while I clean his cage, just gonna sit and read in the corner and see what he does, wish me luck :o:

Last edited:

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
Damn. Well that was a bust, didnt wanna come out of his cage. And this step up training is near impossible when he just backs off or flutters away.
Least hes eating the pellets though.

EDIT: also i can get him to target, so yay!

Last edited:

Hofstadter

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ред
gakljfghreha

HE STEPPED UP ON A PERCH I WAS HOLDING

I AM SO EXCITED

brb while i go into the next room and hyperventilate

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is wonderful! Keep the sessions short for now, and make sure they end on a positive note!!!:dance4::dance4::dance4:

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
you are doing really well , keep it up :hug8: