• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Hatchday my Mia-love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
November 17th, the day before my birthday- my sweet, dear, and pain in the behind Mia was hatched. And now she is 2 years old!!

As a tribute to her, I'd like to tell you all about our first meeting... and how this little stinker came about.

Over two years ago, I had set out to find a Blue Crown Conure because I LOVE the species and thought they'd be a great fit to be my companion bird.
I searched out a breeder and put my name on a waiting list.
I was also doing MOUNDS of research, which included joining bird forums. I was reading and reading and reading, like crazy.

I was waiting for a while when I had gone into a local bird store to hang out... I love their birds :) I saw a green bird and thought- aww they have Blue Crowns. Rushed over to find a sign that said HAHNS MACAW.
What?!
I've never seen a Hahns before. And these things were funny. They followed me all over the cage vying for my attention. It was adorable. But I was getting a Blue Crown.

About a week later, the breeder emails me that the Blue Crown eggs weren't fertile, but he does have some Hahns macaw babies that were about a month old!

There were those pesty Hahns again.. popping out of nowhere! I thought it was a bit bizarre how I've never heard of the species before and here they were calling out to me!
I did some more research on forums, talked to people who had them before. And decided to make a trip to the breeder to see the babies.

It was about a 2 hour drive in a December snow to get there but when I did, he brought out a little container with 3 barely feathered, waddling babies.... I could have died they were so cute!
He didn't have them sexed but his "many years" of breeding lead him to believe one was male and two were female.
I picked up the male first, thinking I wanted a male. He just kinda sat there and then when I placed him back he quickly waddled to his sisters.
I picked up one female and she did the same.
The last female sat nicely in my hands, but when I placed her back she waddled away from her siblings and back to the edge of the container to where I was!!

In retrospect, I should have picked on of the quiet ones. This one was obviously trouble :) But she picked me... and the breeder marked her little foot that she was mine :)

In the past two years, Mia and I have shared a bed room. Yelled at the dogs together. Driven each other crazy (she mimics my frustrated "arggghh"). We've learned to fly again (she, not I unfortunately). We've moved past eating just corn as a "fresh food". We make each other laugh. And I'm sure we make each other cry. But through it all- she is the perfect bird. Even when she's expressing herself by biting the heck out of me! We've come to an understanding these past two years.

I know that she doesn't like when I put her back in her cage and take the bite she gives me as a sign that she just doesn't want me to go.
She understands that sometimes mommy needs quiet time and that's ok... she'll just beat up her holleroller toy.

She's so smart. She has her tricks. Like when she's downstairs and I'm not paying enough attention to her. Heaven forbid Jeremy is around because he's TERRIFIED of Mia and she knows it! He'll walk past her cage and she jumps onto his shirt and he immediately freaks out. I turn and BOTH of them are looking at me. Jeremy with that "OMG GET HER OFF OF ME" look. And Mia with that sly "hahaha.. are you coming? Or am I going to have to bite him first?!" look!

My life wouldn't be the same without her and I never want to imagine it.
Here's a little time-line of Mia pictures. From her first day home... till now :)
*edit* for some weird reason they're not in order but still nice to enjoy :)

Attachments

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
awww Happy Hatch day Mia!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Happy Hatchday Mia girl!! :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
happy hatch day Mia

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Happy Hatchday you beautiful green faby!

Ginger

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh my, she is way too cute! What a lovely story, it sounds like she truly was meant to become part of your life :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwHappy Hatchday Mia you little sweetie

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
Happy Hatch Day Mia! You sure are beautiful and I love your little voice

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
she's the ruler of all :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh my goodness, what a pretty girl!!! Happy Birthday Mia!!! :birthday:

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Happy Hatchday Mia! What a sweet chickenbaby!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Happy hatchdate girlie!! :)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name