• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy hatchday and anniversary, Wasabi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, since he is a rescue, we don't know when he birthday is, so I am treating today like it is.
He's been us for 4 years! Four years ago today we adopted him from the shelter where I volunteered in Jersey! We had relocated to DE, but back for the volunteer group's tag sale. Since my fellow volunteers knew that we had adopted a 'tiel (Sashimi) from the shelter, they told us about Wasabi.
I had to look. One look, that was it. I had to have him. My husband did not object, God bless him. But I would have Wasabi anyway, :lol:
DH renamed him to Wasabi from his last name, Congo, which Wasabi still says. He might say Wasabi, but it is not clear. He does say Wa-congo.:hehe:. DH doesn't put up a fuss when I want to adopt a critter, so long as he gets to name them.

A lot of people wanted Wasabi -- probably for re-sale, since we here all know what Zons are worth. The adoption fee would be no where near that.
So they held him for me until we would prepare for him, which wasn't long.
Wasabi was left alone by his owner for a period of time (a week, we were told.) A woman reported that to the SPCA, which took him.
Some idiot approved Wasabi to go BACK to the negligent owner under a few minor provisions! :mad::mad: But the guy would not pay the boarding fee for Wasabi for being housed at the shelter!!! Which was something like $17.
The woman who called the SPCA wanted him as company for her elderly mother (HA!) and she put up a fuss. Yeah, like that would have worked.
So it's been quite a ride. I have described the issues I still have with him, but at least I am able to touch him through the cage bars. And he does not scream constantly like he did and does not launch at me all the time. Only when he is real real crabby and when hormonal.
I am ashamed to say that I nearly gave him up to the Phoenix Foundation, but in the end I just could not. I could not fail him. But I was over my head, I discovered!
Soon after that decision, things started to get better. As I have said, 99% of the time cannot handle him barehanded, (have done it twice) and he bites me when I am gloved up, and that hurts more than any bite I have ever had from him, but maybe in time....
So happy anniversary, ya old buzzard. :hehe: I would not trade you for anything and I would guard you with my life.:hug8: Hugs from afar.

One of the very first pics of him.

One of my favorites.

The one of two times he let me hold him. I was so thrilled!!! This is last year, at the vet's, after the exam.
He hangs upside down when he wants my attention and makes a certain sound.

Last edited:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Happy Anniversary! He's such a gorgeous bird.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Anniversary Wasabi from aother big gren bird...Hiram!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Happy Anniversary!

Matt

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Happy Anniversary and Hatch Day you crabby old guy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.