• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Gotcha Day, Mustrum and Esmerelda!

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
They remember it like it was yesterday: crammed into their tiny studio, just two young birds in an arranged relationship.

1634424173760.png

No running water, just a cistern that was supposed to supply their needs for the day, but mostly just leaked everywhere. Not even a separate kitchen, they had to bed down on top of the bulk grains they'd stocked up on against the lean hours. People tell youngsters to shop at Costco to save money, but they never mention that you'll have no place to put it. The building superintendent told them they'd be flying to their new home, but perhaps they misunderstood what she meant, because the whole day they didn't get any flying time in at all. Also, it was cold when they got to the other Washington, and the person who was carrying their little home was grumbling that it was late and he should just leave everything for the morning. And they were tired and they thought maybe it would be nice if all the jostling would just stop and they could have a proper snoozle. But then, there was a voice, a voice that was designed to be quiet, but speaking up, because she was there to get them and that was really important. "Um, is that waybill 275939? That's me. They're my birds. I'm here! I can take them right now!"

And then there was some more of the going out into the cold air, and dark, then light then dark again and then a stage wait while the voice muttered, "righty tighty, lefty loosey" and some more jostling and finally the door opened and they could see that their studio, apparently these things are modular, because it had been placed into another structure, and oh, finally, room to fly!

And there were days and weeks and months and for the longest time they didn't even have names, just Thing 1 and Thing 2. But sometimes Mustrum was Thing 1 and sometimes Esme was. It was all very confusing, but their carer obviously meant well, even if she didn't always seem to know what she was doing.

And, well, that was the year that was.

Happy Gotcha Day, Mustrum and Esme! Here's wishing many happy returns of the day.

Attachments

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww! They share a gotcha day with Phoenix. <3 Happy gotcha day you lucky little birdies!!

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
What a beautiful story! Happy gotcha day you lucky duo!! To many more happy years and gotcha days!! :loveshower: :awww:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:cheer: Congratulations to all of you! I love that cage; is it a walk in, indoor aviary?!

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
:cheer: Congratulations to all of you! I love that cage; is it a walk in, indoor aviary?!
Thank you, definitely the best quaran-teamates I could have ever asked for.

And yes, last spring I thought we were going back to the office soon. Out of the cage time was working as long as I'm at home all day so I can just wait for them to go in on their own. But, if I was going to be out for 9 hours a day that was going to be challenging. So, an indoor aviary seemed like the best way to let them fly as much as they want without me standing there saying, "tick tock, guys, one of us needs our beauty sleep." We actually haven't gone back yet, but my colleagues get a kick out of watching Mustrum and Esme darting around as my background on our zoom calls. So, everyone wins. :cool:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a wonderful story!! Love to your babies :heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Happy Gotcha day guys! Truly a day to celebrate! :starshower1: :bliss:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And I'm sure they're happy that they landed with you! Here's to many more happy years together.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Gottcha day

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Happy Gotcha Day! :dancing::loveshower:

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
We thank you all for your good wishes. :thanks:

I didn't think Esme and Mustrum had realized that yesterday was anything special. But, today, for the second time in the entire time she's been here (that I've seen, anyway), Esme took a bath. I believe Granny Weatherwax (for whom she was named) would say once a year is about right.
:bathtime:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Oscarbird