• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Gotcha Anniversary, Tweetie!

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
It was one year ago today that I brought Tweetie home! I thought I'd celebrate by posting pictures of him taken over this year. When I first brought him home, he was so scared. I fell in love with him immediately but I thought he was sick. With the help of information on the internet and finding this forum, I got valuable information to help me with him. This is how he looked those first few days.

I quickly learned his personality was very timid and scared of everything new, sounds, toys, food, etc. One month later, Oct 24 I got one of many good photos of him.

He wasn't playing with his toys and would eat only seeds. I put him in front of a large window that is bright but not direct sun. He loved it and chirped and sang happily. On Nov 27 I snapped this shot of him.

By Dec, I was beginning to think that maybe he needed a friend to bring him out of his shell. He still moved away from my hand but would eat millet if I held it up to him. He didn't recognize anything fresh as food. Once he stopped being afraid of broccoli that I draped over his favorite perch, he just walked over it! This is how he looked on Dec 20 - still hadn't gone through his first molt.

I read @Beasley thread "budgie Foster Family" and she wanted to rehome one of the babies that she raised from an egg. She agreed that I could have him so it was now a matter of waiting for Buddy to grow before I could bring him home as a pal for Tweetie. In the meantime I continued to work with Tweetie. He did pay attention to me but still kept his distance. He was curious about my cell phone which I was always sticking up in his face to take pictures. On Jan 20 I took this picture which is one of my favorites of him.

He's just starting to lose some of the bar feathers on his head. On Feb 2 I brought Buddy home. He was in quarantine but they could hear each other and were calling back and forth. Unfortunately Buddy got sick which would prolong the quarantine. Tweetie was now comfortable in his cage and he seemed to "pose" when I approached with the cell phone. Feb 13:

Finally he started playing with toys and Mar 21he was happily destroying this gem - yeah!!!

The big introduction happened on Apr 10! I had tried previously to get Tweetie to come out of his cage to fly around. I moved his cage to a bedroom that I'd budgie proofed and opened the door to his cage. He would retreat to the back of the cage and get scared. At the introduction, the cages were close to each other. Tweetie flew out to check out Buddy but missed Buddy's cage and ended up flying around the great room instead. This went on for an hour or so. I caught this picture of him on the shutters as he perched getting his bearings.

By Apr 21 Buddy had taught Tweetie that fresh herbs were food - yeah!!!

By June 25 both birds were coming out of the cage to fly around - yeah, again!!! Here Tweetie is sitting on a perch on the outside of the cage.

The boys are great friends and Buddy was so good at bringing Tweetie out of his shell. Here they are on July 30.

They continue to eat fresh foods. If its something new, Buddy tries it first and if he likes it, both dig in (Aug 21).

And finally, here is Tweetie's anniversary picture. You've brought me such joy this year and been such great company during the coronavirus shutdown. The day I brought you home was one of the best days of my life. Happy Anniversary and you'll get all your favorites today, little guy!!!

If you've read through this thread, thank you and have a great day.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Happy Gotcha Day!!!

:yah:
:congrats5:
:starshower1::starshower::strhng:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love it! Makes the heart sing :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
A heart warming story! Happy Gotcha Day! :congrats5:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a brave and healthy bird he's become! :starshower1: Happy Gotcha day!

They're both such beautiful birds, and you take great photos, too! :chrisphoto:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Happy Gotcha Day! Such a little cutie. :)

:bdayparty:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5: