• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy 2nd Birthday, Froggo!

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
About 2 years ago, my sister wild caught a baby toad (I don't agree with wild-catching animals, just to be clear). The care was fine at first, but as the toad (Froggo) got older, she got more neglected. Eventually, her tank got so neglected and grew so much mold that I had to wear 3 facemasks just to go near it! I'm honestly surprised she survived that long, especially since my sister was not feeding he AT ALL the whole time. She was in that condition for a month or two I think, but on the other hand, my time perception is horrible...

Now, she's living in a bin that's 20 gallons, and has a TON of floor space. She has a huge log she likes to sleep under, a flowerpot hideout, a water dish that she can bathe in, dead leaves (boiled), and some Spagnales mosses that she likes to burrow in. Her soil is EcoEarth, and she is fed captive bred earthworms, mealworms, roaches, and the occasional beetle I find outside and Google search to make sure it's toad safe. I've consulted with the Fish and Wildlife Service, multiple vets, and experts on amphibians, and she has been deemed unable to be released.

Now, for some funny things about her that I love!

• Every morning, she greets me, and begs for a treat (a super small prey item I give her most mornings, since she is somewhat stunted from the neglect).
  • She has a little hole she dug out of her dirt and likes to nap in.
  • She 'pancakes' when she's enjoying her bath.
  • I need to put her in her bowl every evening, for her nightly bath. She refuses to do it herself in the evening, but clearly enjoys it once I put her in (she stays in there for hours, and always has the option to come out). Lazy!
  • She is perfectly fine with handling, and hardly ever pees on me. I do only handle her once a day, though, for her baths, and always make sure to wash my hands first.
  • Even though our tap water has no chlorine or heavy metals, she refuses to bathe unless it's conditioned. I usually keep a bottle of conditioned water by her tank to refill her bowl when it's getting empty.
Well, I love her, and today is her 2nd Birthday! She's currently soaking away in her bowl, happy as a clam.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m glad she made it to her second birthday. Sounds like she´s lucky you took her away from your sister.

It´s a shame no one called 2 years ago to see about rehabbing and releasing her. Now she is condemned to living in a tank.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I´m glad she made it to her second birthday. Sounds like she´s lucky you took her away from your sister.

It´s a shame no one called 2 years ago to see about rehabbing and releasing her. Now she is condemned to living in a tank.
Indeed, it is very sad, and I so wish that she would be able to live outside. All I can do now is get her the biggest bin I can find (40 gallon- coming soon), and try to replicate her wild habitat as best I can.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bdayparty:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Happy Birthday, Froggo! She's lucky to have you!