• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hans, YCM, or?

Jaime M Guin

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jaime
I am having the hardest time deciding on my next bird. We have a sun conure, two caiques, and a non typical IRN. I have spent weeks trying to find the right one. So much so that the info is starting to run together. So I thought I would ask on here. I am looking for a bird that is social. I like to interact with my birds and have them be out in the room with us. So one that can be in a room (supervised of course) with other birds without flying to attack them is preferred. Each is given their own space. A one person bird is fine but I need one that will at least tolerate my husband even if grudgingly. My sun conure is like that but my irn hates him. Lunges at the cage if he just walks by. A vocabulary would be great even if it is just fifteen words. Lastly one that is at least somewhat forgiving. This is my first bird bigger than a caique and I would hate to ruin it because I did not have the experience. I read tons of things and talk to bird people when I can but that does not prepare you for every situation. I am looking at a hans or ycm although something a little bigger would be fine too so I am open to suggestions. Oh! As far as noise level I handle all of them except the irn, her piercing call can get on my nerves. Lucky for me she does not do it often. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Jaime M Guin

Real Name
Jaime
Thank you for the reply. I have read that when I first started looking at what my next bird would be. It was one of the reasons I have decided to go with a mini macaw. Now I am just trying to narrow down which one is right for us.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are all such individuals; best bet would be to meet some and see who clicks :) A Hahns is not that much bigger than a sun conure except for its giant beak!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Actually my Hahns is slightly smaller or about the same size as a sun body wise.

Jaime M Guin

Real Name
Jaime
Oh, I thought it was a few inches bigger and a ycm was a few inches bigger than a hans. Hmmm... Thanks for letting me know.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah Hahns are tiny things! Their head and beak just make them look a lot bigger I think.

YCM to Sun Conure there is quite a considerable difference though. My Hahns (passed away 5 years ago now) would not tolerate any other birds and attacked them, so I had to keep her separate from my Quaker and Green Cheeked Conure. She also didn't talk at all except her name.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The YCM’s are sooo pretty.

I had my eyes on them a while back but I am going to behave and not end up collecting every bird I find amazing! Lol.

Jaime M Guin

Real Name
Jaime
Thank you so much for the pictures! I have tried to find some for visual comparison but was not having much luck. So it looks like ycm are more suited to what I am looking for. I wish there was more info on them. I have read the few post on here from people who have them. Are there any other birds with the same temperament that I should consider?

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi, we have both a Hahns and a YCM males; the Hahns is a bit smaller and they live together and are fully flighted. They are the cutest little parrots and they both fly around the bird room in the morning while I fix breakfast for them. They each have similar personalities, a bit quick moving, chirpy and playful. Training is so important for interacting around other birds, but constant supervision with any birds out together is so important. They love the independence of activity keeping in mind each bird reacts differently depending on their environment of other birds and and human action environment. Also, their age and history needs to be considered, hormonal and good or bad previous homes. We have added different size macaws over the years to our home and a slow transition to determine how they and the other birds respond was important. I had their cage in a separate room while I was bonding, changing diets for a month and then slowly introduced them to the existing flock until they felt comfortable.