• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handrearing mynahs?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hey everyone, so in a bit, i will be taking in a baby myna, i've had a handful of experience hand rearing baby parrots but this is new for me. what should i do differently with a softbill chick? i do have adult mynahs in the aviary but i didn't raise them from baby chicks (i don't breed them, just taking in older ones). The baby is about 2 weeks old so its not too too young. also, im not sure im posting in the right place.
So here are my questions:

1. what to feed em?. i have insects (dubia, mealworms, crickets), different fruits, and mazuri softbill pellets for the adults but what do i feed the baby? for handfeeding formulas for my parrots i used to use kaytee/zupreem (but heard bad things about kaytee so not sure about that). i could also get my hands on vetafarm neocare, psittacus, hagen, or nutribird. which would be best? or should i just not bother with formula?

2. How often to feed? heard they eat more often than parrots.

3. What temp to keep a somewhat feathered baby? i have a brooder on hand for emergency's like this but i've heard people say i don't need heat and just put it with a feather duster? should i just treat the chick like a parrot chick?

4. what else should i do differently or even the same as a baby parrot?

Sorry for so many questions but i'm really scared i will do something wrong but id rather be safe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe this thread will be helpful;

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
I'm very interested in this tread. Was it from a breeder?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Maybe this thread will be helpful;
thank you ill read up on that.
I'm very interested in this tread. Was it from a breeder?
yes got it from a breeder, got its certificate. although i didn't buy him directly, my friend gave the bird as a gift as i just lost my oldest just passed at 17yo, not sure what caused him to go so suddenly, the day before still flying around the aviary, eating like usual, the next morning he was on the ground (nothing on the cctv, just dropped).

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I googled this and got 670,000 results, including videos. Most of them look to be helpful. You might try that.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just looked up mynahs. Very neat looking birds! Good luck with yours. :)

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Call the breeder and ask for some further guidance on how to care for the little one. I would hope they have the answers you need.
I didn’t get the breeder’s number but ill try to contact the breeder somehow. Since i live in a third world country most smaller breeders don’t use commercial feeding formula here, mostly diy/no brand hand-feeding formulas which some of them wont give the ingridients which worried me.
I googled this and got 670,000 results, including videos. Most of them look to be helpful. You might try that.
I’ve searched a lot just wanted to ask for opinions. I was confused cause i see that they are rarely kept as pets and most i see on the internet are rescues.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you are not fully knowledgeable confident and experienced in doing this you should not be doing it. It's not your life that hangs in the balance. Leave the rearing to the breeder. That is bad enough.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
All I know is low iron.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
If you are not fully knowledgeable confident and experienced in doing this you should not be doing it. It's not your life that hangs in the balance. Leave the rearing to the breeder. That is bad enough.
Ive raised a bunch of parrots from day 1 but this might not be the thing for me, ill ask if they can keep the bird until weaned.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Update: good news, the breeder had some older birds available so i could pick them up instead of the young one. They are weaned but still occasionally being hand fed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Be sure to ask him any questions you have RE the younger birds :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are you going to be shipping the bird or picking it up? If you're picking it up, ask the breeder to SHOW you how to handfeed a mynah.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Are you going to be shipping the bird or picking it up? If you're picking it up, ask the breeder to SHOW you how to handfeed a mynah.
I picked them up yesterday (got given one more bird that they say is attached to one of the birds too so now i have 3) they are fully fledged but they do enjoy being handfed still. They all happily took to the mazuri diet im feeding + some a mix of different fruits a bit of veggies and some insects.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
Are they quarantined from your flock?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Sounds good! Pictures would be great, along with updates. :)