• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handling my canary

Frillbird

Meeting neighbors
Hello, not sure where to post this thread. I’ll be bringing my Dutch canary to the vet in the next few days and am needing to know: what’s the best way to handle him? He’s so fragile. As you could imagine I’m scared for his safety. Any help would be great.thanks.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I asked a similar question about taking my own birds that aren't hand-tame to the vet.

BLUF summary: if you can get them in a travel cage, you then just hand that to the nice professionals who've done this before. ;)

If you can't get him in a travel cage, I dunno. My current plan is lots and lots of millet.

Gabby22

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes trying to get even a tamed bird into the travel cage is a challenge when they do not want to. :rolleyes: At times I have had to pick my bird up and put her in it. I read if you are traveling with your bird in the car to not place them in the front seat in case the air bag deploys. A bird could be injured.

Flyfisher

Moving in
Real Name
Flyfisher
Take the cage where you have him into a small room, in case he escapes from you. Notice where he is located in the cage. Turn off the lights and just pick him up and put him where you want. When you turn off the light they become motionless and are easy go pickup without any fuss. No light means total darkness.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What flyfisher said is easiest. I keep a bird net around with a 6” handle. I catch the bird, wait till it goes to the bottom of the net, then turn the handle 1/4 turn so the net is closed off. Then I can move it to the carrier easily.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Take the cage where you have him into a small room, in case he escapes from you. Notice where he is located in the cage. Turn off the lights and just pick him up and put him where you want. When you turn off the light they become motionless and are easy go pickup without any fuss. No light means total darkness.
Does anyone have experience with doing this with birds that aren't generally hand-socialized? Not that my birds seem to be afraid particularly of my hands, but they are pretty much no-touch birds at the moment.

I think if I grabbed one of my dudes in the dark, 1. I'd need to have a prior arrangement with Siri so I could get the lights turned back on once I'd got the bird in hand, and 2. I think my birds would have a serious cardiac event, if out of nowhere . . . SURPRISE HAND!

But, if the dark has essentially sedating effect on them, it's worth having that as an option.