• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handfeeding mousebirds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
the one on your dress is adorable!!
-------------------

LOL...that one is a bad mouser :) As soon as I open the cage top if I don't watch closely he/she takes off and I have to chase him/her. And while I am after him the 2 WB are trying to make a cage break. So now I feed this little one first, and I have my husband Kirby hold him/her until I can feed the others.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The baby mousers think they are big birds. Yesterday we got a small parakeet sized cage to put them in. I added an un-stuffed fake fur animal skin for them to snuggle against. They would cling to it, but if they tried to cling/hang from the roof of the cage, since it is a slant roof, they slid back down :(

Today we went back to Pet Supermarket and Kirby spotted a hamster cage. It's not too big, but what is nice is it has a platform they can lay on. I added their unstuffed animal, and I caught a nice pix of them napping....cute:heart: And the BN were caught at the bowl nibbling on the papaya. The one little piggy grabbed a piece the size of my thumbnail and swallowed it whole!

As they start eating more on their own (I'm still giving formula several times a day) I'll move them to a bigger cage, and add platforms, and I think I'm going to hang some ladders from the roof of the cage for them to climb on, with the unstuffed animals beside it as snuggle buddies :)

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
AWWWWWWWWWW:heart::heart::heart::heart: They are so cute together. All snuggled up on the unstuffed animal.:)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL...the WB babies snuggle their little beaks in the fur :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..that has to be cute. Their feathers feel almost like fur anyway, so it must be just the color that was throwing Gryphon off. It's ok in the dark..it's not as scary.:p

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So all of them are females, even the wb babies?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...all 4 are females. In the past month I have sexed 8 (between BN and WB) and 5 were females.

Look at this mousebird pile-up :) The likey their unstuffed toy. I have some fake fur, so tomorrow I will cut a strip so that it can be a little carpet for under them on the shelf under the stuffed animal.

Now they are chittering at me to give them some formula.

Attachments

Last edited:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Your posts just never seem to amaze me. They are so fascinating and cute. There are not words to describe how adorable your little ones are. The adults really do make eye contact with the camera!!! Thank you for sharing the experience with us. It so much fun to read all about them.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
WOW!!~! I just learned something. When Chubbs was 2 weeks old he had the faint blue patch on the back of his head as early as 2 weeks old (looking back at pix's) Neither one of these 2 BN girls (had them sexed) have even a hint of blue yet on the back of the head. It now makes me wonder if this is also a way to tell sex early on? I know in looking at the adults the females blue patch is alot smaller than the males patch.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is cool. Keep track and see if it is true!:)

aracari1

Moving in
Real Name
GG
Your posts just never seem to amaze me. They are so fascinating and cute. There are not words to describe how adorable your little ones are. The adults really do make eye contact with the camera!!! Thank you for sharing the experience with us. It so much fun to read all about them.
Oh, mousies are amazing! They are different but intelligent and sweet. I love their little song, sort of like a canary but softer.
And they are definitely little devils, too, love every opportunity to escape!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
And they are definitely little devils, too, love every opportunity to escape! '---------------------------------------------

LOL...that is what these little stinker did today. I have their cage behind me while I was on the computer. I heard them flapping and thought they were excersising their wings. I turned around and they had slid the top door open and one WB was getting ready to take off and another WB baby was missing, and it took about an hour to find it.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have only lost Gryphon once. That was when he first came home. It took me almost an hour to find him. He was in the living room, frozen to the bottom of the drapes. Now he never lets me from his sight, and will follow me. He will fly from his cage, but will fly back. He's a good mouser,but spoiled rotten.:p

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Well the 2 WB are seriously refusing formula, and eating from their plates of fruit...YAY!!! The BN are ROTTON and beg, especially when we are eating in front of them. That Chatty Cathy is BAD...she will chitter and stare at us if we are eating. Look at that big mouth nibbling on a cheesburger bun. Look out Sam and Mitch, you have competition in eating. Chatty Cathy is no slouch in the eating department...:lol:

And I had an egg I assist hatched (long story) and am handfeeding a BN from Day One it is not helping the weaning process of the older mousebirds. They see mt trying to feed this bumblebee sized (2 grams) chick and of course Chatty Cathy starts in :)

Attachments

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
they just want to show the new one how :hehe:
------------------------------------------

LOL...they would show how to eat all of the formula and leave nothing for the little one :) if they had their way.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
yeah, I kinda figured that, they do seem to like to eat :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.