• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handfeeding baby Lovebird advice

Marino

Strolling the yard
I ended up feeding him earlier. He had a lot of food and looked like a little ballon, so that will be it until 4:30 or so.

He has started playing with his toys which is good. He has lots of energy now! Becoming much more difficult to manage, but is also easily spooked by unfamiliar environments. He settles more with the lid on his container. When it's open he sprints around it like a madman, which is quite odd. He spent a good hour chewing up a toy though which gave me some respite.

Still, he'd much prefer spend most the time in my hands. This is no longer possible as he keeps trying to perch and fidget... I'd drop him if it were for any extended period of time!

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He settles more with the lid on his container
What is the container? It is clear so he can see outside? If it is dark, that will be why he spooks.
Like this;
fghdgf.jpg

Marino

Strolling the yard
What is the container? It is clear so he can see outside? If it is dark, that will be why he spooks.
Like this;
View attachment 343491
It's clear like that! About that size! At what point can i expect him to start flying? I need to parrot proof the room and migrate him when necessary! Also, when will I know he's ready to move in to his cage?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At what point can i expect him to start flying? I need to parrot proof the room and migrate him when necessary! Also, when will I know he's ready to move in to his cage?
He will need to be fully feathered and the feathers opened (preened) before going into his cage. He will start flying shortly after. :)

Marino

Strolling the yard
He will need to be fully feathered and the feathers opened (preened) before going into his cage. He will start flying shortly after. :)
Thanks a lot for all your help, Zara!

Marino

Strolling the yard
C300C9F9-BD98-4B06-BEB5-23E2A1D5D743.JPG

Here's an update for you all! He has changed so much in 10 days! It's crazy!

He has almost started flying. He is on three feedings a day now, but constantly grazes on carrots, apples and ground pellets, seeds, dried fruit and millet. He is still completely uninterested in water but that's a work in progress. Once he flies I'l move him into his cage. I am trying not to leave him in his box too much because Good God is it hot here! It's 32 degrees and the flat isn't any cooler. That plastic box must be boiling although I keep it out of the sun. I can't leave the lid off because he's figured out how to climb out!

He's not too noisy yet! But can be when he wants to be!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
He is looking so good! What a cute little baby!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s looking good!
3 feeds seems a lot, but if he is eating 10% his body weight at each feed then carry on :)
Sounds like he´s ready to go into his cage, put the perches low down and line the bottom with a towel, just incase he falls - which is likely at first.
Just be sure it doesn´t get cold at night. Offer a small box (a carboard box will be perfect) to sleep in with a small stuffed toy (with no loose parts, threads or beads), or a rolled up sock.

Marino

Strolling the yard
He´s looking good!
3 feeds seems a lot, but if he is eating 10% his body weight at each feed then carry on :)
Sounds like he´s ready to go into his cage, put the perches low down and line the bottom with a towel, just incase he falls - which is likely at first.
Just be sure it doesn´t get cold at night. Offer a small box (a carboard box will be perfect) to sleep in with a small stuffed toy (with no loose parts, threads or beads), or a rolled up sock.
I'm pleased you said that, Zara! I've been gagging to put him in there. It's just too hot! There is no way it will be too cold at night. The lows here are 23-24 at night now.
Today he had about 6ccs for breakfast, then 8ccs around 3pm. He'll feed every six hours or so. If I don't give it he'll scream the place down. He makes it known! He'll have a play... then he'll walk up top me on the table, look at me and scream repeatedly. This always coincides with the regular feeding time. He is starting to turn his nose up at food in the mornings sooner though... so I'll see how it goes over the next few days. I'm concerned about reducing feedings also due to him not being interested in water yet. I don't want him to dehydrate!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. It's just too hot!
Yea, the brooders function is to maintain and regulate their body temp while they cannot (for lack of plumes). But as he has his feathers and it is hot for you, he will be ok. But definitely line the cage and lower perches because he is so small still. The box will offer comfort but also a warmer place to be should it get a little too cool at night. Cardboard is warm.
He will eventually drink, don´t worry about that. 3 feedings a day plus apple means he´s getting enough liquid. Offer up some dark green veggies now while he´s still young.
Once he´s eating less formula, you can reduce to one in the late morning and one in the evening.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Yea, the brooders function is to maintain and regulate their body temp while they cannot (for lack of plumes). But as he has his feathers and it is hot for you, he will be ok. But definitely line the cage and lower perches because he is so small still. The box will offer comfort but also a warmer place to be should it get a little too cool at night. Cardboard is warm.
He will eventually drink, don´t worry about that. 3 feedings a day plus apple means he´s getting enough liquid. Offer up some dark green veggies now while he´s still young.
Once he´s eating less formula, you can reduce to one in the late morning and one in the evening.
I tired putting him in the cage... he wasn't happy. I took him out! Any suggestions?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
(Sorry, I had to take care of some stuff)

What you can do is set up the cage on a large table.
Open the door, and create a ramp going up and into the cage - maybe out of cardboard or plastic, it has to be strong enough to hold your birds weight because if it buckles with your bird on it, he will not want to do it again.
Then set some toys and millet down in front and inside the cage.
Play with your bird right next to the cage, occassionaly play with something inside and see if he comes in to see what is going on.

Additional;
Add an external perch, very low down and try sitting him on it, once perched, feed him his current fave treat.

Marino

Strolling the yard
(Sorry, I had to take care of some stuff)

What you can do is set up the cage on a large table.
Open the door, and create a ramp going up and into the cage - maybe out of cardboard or plastic, it has to be strong enough to hold your birds weight because if it buckles with your bird on it, he will not want to do it again.
Then set some toys and millet down in front and inside the cage.
Play with your bird right next to the cage, occassionaly play with something inside and see if he comes in to see what is going on.

Additional;
Add an external perch, very low down and try sitting him on it, once perched, feed him his current fave treat.
It's not a problem! I'm sure you have a life outside this forum!

So, the base of the cage is quite deep, and the doors quite high up, which means a ramp isn't possible. This means the only way he could enter cage (which he certainly wouldn't do to get inside) would be to climb the bars.

I put him in. He ran around like a scared maniac for a few minutes, and then located the door (which I left open) and proceeded to climb up the cage to the door. I was very impressed actually! He doesn't do this with closed doors. He has just been fed, so the screaming has stopped. He is now staying in a corner of the cage. I remember what you said about darkness and have repositioned the cage into a lighter position, hoping this is only temporary as the dining room table isn't that practical!

I have put towel on the base of the cage, and covered this with kitchen towel. He is falling all over the place as he experiments with climbing. I just wish it was with joy rather than trying to escape!

So yeah... now he's cowered in a corner, but very quiet.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Yes, I don't like this at all. I took him out, and gave him some millet, which he accepted. I then slowly put him back in whilst he was eating. He suddenly realised where he was and rushed to the same corner. He's huddled there again. He really does not like big open spaces.

It's his bed time now. Should I leave him in here for the night, or move him back to his tiny box that he seems to love so much? Honestly, he was going stir crazy in there today while I was working!

Marino

Strolling the yard
Sorry, I hope this doesn’t constitute spam!

ive Put his old tiny plastic container in the box, the very first I bought. It is on its side alongside a sock stuffed with oats. He is very content in the cage, in there. He is even eating. He’s not trying to escape, just fascinated by the sock, cleaning, eating, back to normal. I just needed to give him an enclosed space to feel safe in. I’m hoping he will venture out when he feels confident enough. I’ll leave him in here tonight, hopefully he’ll be ok. I’m scared of him climbing the wire of the cage and falling.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
ive Put his old tiny plastic container in the box, the very first I bought. It is on its side
Yes, I was going to say to tip the brooder if you couldn´t find a cardboard box. I find it really helps settle them into their cage. All my birds had that nook to go in to feel secure.
My first bird had a small wooden nestbox, and as it never presented any problems (never protected it or got aggressive), he kept it for many years (I changed it every now and then for higiene, but replaced with the same sort of box).

I’m scared of him climbing the wire of the cage and falling.
He will fall at some point, I can almost bet on it. But as he has his wings, and you put the towel down, he´ll be fine. Wings will lessen the fall, towel will soften the impact.
If you feel the cage is very tall, you can divide it with a piece of cardboard and hold it in place half way up the cage horizontally with tie straps.

Marino

Strolling the yard
Yes, I was going to say to tip the brooder if you couldn´t find a cardboard box. I find it really helps settle them into their cage. All my birds had that nook to go in to feel secure.
My first bird had a small wooden nestbox, and as it never presented any problems (never protected it or got aggressive), he kept it for many years (I changed it every now and then for higiene, but replaced with the same sort of box).

He will fall at some point, I can almost bet on it. But as he has his wings, and you put the towel down, he´ll be fine. Wings will lessen the fall, towel will soften the impact.
If you feel the cage is very tall, you can divide it with a piece of cardboard and hold it in place half way up the cage horizontally with tie straps.
So this morning i found him in the box, huddled against the sock. He is now jumpy, won't approach my hand like he used to. He will feed from it. He hasn't left the box once.

It's a bit upsetting. He used to be very exploratory. Would love spending time out of his box etc. Now he's completely vanished.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Did you feed him in the box? Best to feed him out of the cage.
Reach in and pick him up and pull him out. If he wants to snuggle with you, let him snuggle, if he wants to play, let him play.

Marino

Strolling the yard
He has just eaten for the first time today... it's 12pm so much later than normal.

We used to have a routine. I'd place my hand in the box, he would climb on voluntarily for feeding. When was done I'd place my hand back on the table, he'd climb on and go back in the box.

This time I had to scoop him out of the container. It feels like such a regression.