• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handfeeding baby Lovebird advice

Marino

Strolling the yard
That is a fair point, but as I don´t move my cage unless I´m doing a deep clean, it´s no big deal.
I do prefer my Madeira cages though. I made a thread on lovebird lane about my cage setups. It hasn´t been updated in so long though.

That´s a nice name. At least it is easy to change if you get an egg one day :lol:

Yea, it´s a decent enough looking cage. A good size for a single bird. Is there no grate for the bottom?
No! There is no grate! i was disappointed with this, but I was silly to just assume there would be. I’ll empty the trays every day. I know it’s a problem if they eat dropped food from their faeces. So i’ll have to be vigilante with that perhaps lining the floor with pine would prevent that, or at least reducing the chances of it happening. But also it problematises using any foot toys in the cage because it will end up rolling around in poo... I’ll need to think of a work around when the time comes. Any ideas? And don’t say get another cage! :lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
perhaps lining the floor with pine would prevent that,
:lol: I laugh because you will line the cage with shavings... and with one wingflap :twist:**poof** shavings everywhere all over your house. Also, pine is not very safe for birds.
Just paper is ok, you will just have to keep on top of changing the paper morning and night.
I did find a site that sold grates, I was looking for one a few years ago. If I find it I will link it, maybe you can pick one up in that size.

But also it problematises using any food toys in the cage because it will end up rolling around in poo..
Yes this is the issue I had and why I was looking for a grate. My little one would play football, so I had to constantly change papers to keep her toys clean.
I wish I knew the solution.

I will add that if this turns out to be Marina, you may want to not line the cage at all to avoid nesting behaviours.

Marino

Strolling the yard
:lol: I laugh because you will line the cage with shavings... and with one wingflap :twist:**poof** shavings everywhere all over your house. Also, pine is not very safe for birds.
Just paper is ok, you will just have to keep on top of changing the paper morning and night.
I did find a site that sold grates, I was looking for one a few years ago. If I find it I will link it, maybe you can pick one up in that size.

Yes this is the issue I had and why I was looking for a grate. My little one would play football, so I had to constantly change papers to keep her toys clean.
I wish I knew the solution.

I will add that if this turns out to be Marina, you may want to not line the cage at all to avoid nesting behaviours.
OK! So no shavings! Ha!

Gosh, I hope it's a boy! I've read too many stories of eggs getting stuck, hormonal females etc etc etc

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I do not know what it is like in Italy, but here in Spain wing clipping is not very common unlike in the US. So our birds fly a lot more which helps lessen the problems around egg laying. My girls have laid so many eggs and I have never worried about egg binding with them. We always get nice shaped eggs, no dents or anything weird. They fly daily and eat pellets seeds and vegetables.
It´s good to be aware of egg binding, but it´s not something that should worry over without reason.

As for hormonal, yea some of my hens are just horrible to be around, but my youngest is a sweetie. If you have a close relationship with your bird, you may be ok when it comes to hormones but it´s hard to know :)

Marino

Strolling the yard
I do not know what it is like in Italy, but here in Spain wing clipping is not very common unlike in the US. So our birds fly a lot more which helps lessen the problems around egg laying. My girls have laid so many eggs and I have never worried about egg binding with them. We always get nice shaped eggs, no dents or anything weird. They fly daily and eat pellets seeds and vegetables.
It´s good to be aware of egg binding, but it´s not something that should worry over without reason.

As for hormonal, yea some of my hens are just horrible to be around, but my youngest is a sweetie. If you have a close relationship with your bird, you may be ok when it comes to hormones but it´s hard to know :)

IMG_8804B8260368-1.jpeg

I've bought these wood fibres. These would be OK right? I am buying a bigger container today.

Reactions: Ali

Marino

Strolling the yard
It doesn't say. It just says 'highly absorbent', 'no additives' and 'for small animals'!
I also have a brick of dried coconut husk/fibre that I use for my plants. Would that be OK if this proves too risky to try?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I also have a brick of dried coconut husk/fibre that I use for my plants. Would that be OK if this proves too risky to try?
Yes it is safe, but be careful of the strands if you use it as it may choke the baby.

After a quick internet search, I looked at every site featuring the wood fibres you have, and not a single one says the material!

@Zara

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I personally use large pine wood shavings

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yes it is safe, but be careful of the strands if you use it as it may choke the baby.

After a quick internet search, I looked at every site featuring the wood fibres you have, and not a single one says the material!

@Zara
I noticed there was an apple one by the same brand. Could you get your hands on some of that for safety?

Marino

Strolling the yard
I personally use large pine wood shavings
This is the problem I have! I find so many conflicted accounts of what to use! Some say Pine and Cedar aren't suitable, other's don't. It seems to me the safest bet is kitchen towel! Especially considering I have no problems with the little guys legs. He's starting to perch today!

Marino

Strolling the yard
I noticed there was an apple one by the same brand. Could you get your hands on some of that for safety?
I'd have to order it online. At this point I'm not sure if it's all that necessary?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Avoid that my friend. I just read a thread on here recently, poor chick got their foot tangled. Not worth the risk.

At this point I'm not sure if it's all that necessary?
If you have a shredder, shred some plain unbleached paper :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some say Pine and Cedar aren't suitable, other's don't
Cedar is toxic, as is fine pine.
Coarse (large) pine is ok, as Brian uses. Aspen is the ideal one to go for if it´s available.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
This is the problem I have! I find so many conflicted accounts of what to use! Some say Pine and Cedar aren't suitable, other's don't.
I raised several birds with the large shavings, I don't like using the smaller shavings as it might be easily ingested. As soon as they are weaned I no longer use this type of bedding as it is messyyyy

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The bedding serves to keep the chick warm while they grow and until they can regulate their own body temperature.
When your bird weans they will be fully feathered and fine without bedding.

I don't like using the smaller shavings as it might be easily ingested
Yea I read that fine aspen is also bad because of this reason. Getting stuck in nares or ingested etc.

Marino

Strolling the yard
The bedding serves to keep the chick warm while they grow and until they can regulate their own body temperature.
When your bird weans they will be fully feathered and fine without bedding.

Yea I read that fine aspen is also bad because of this reason. Getting stuck in nares or ingested etc.
OK, thanks!

Some more question if you don't mind! :D

He never eats in the morning. His feeding schedule is 8am, 12pm, 4:30pm, 8:30pm.

BUT he never wants to eat at 8am. He'll maybe get through 3cc before rejecting the food. Lo and behold, come 10am he is noticeably hungry, chirping and trying to eat fingers. He never bites, but seeing the finger will elicit begging. He'll flap his wings blah blah blah. Should I wait until 12pm?