• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Handfed conure sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaytori220

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tori
I have a 4 week old green cheek conure that I am hand feeding. He is down to three feeds a day at 8-2-8. I fed him at 2 pm yesterday and by the time his 8 pm feed was due his crop was still sorta full. I noticed his eyes were closed and he looked to be squinting when he did open them. He holds his wings down. So I upped the heat alittle and he seemed to perk up within about 10 minutes. He was opening his eyes better and more alert and even stretching his wings which he hadn't done all day. I am going to see if I can get him to my avian vet asap when they open this morning to be safe. Anyone ever experience this? I have handfed babies before and never had any problems or seen this behavior.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I hope the vet can help, and he will be ok! Maybe yeast? Hard to say without a culture. Sending healing energy for the little one. Welcome to Avian Avenue.:hug8:
I see you live near me. Do you have a great avian vet? I know a couple.

Last edited:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I hope the baby will be fine.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think t he vet will be your best course here...could be yeast or even sour crop.

Jaytori220

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tori
I got home from work this morning and my little one had passed away. I have no clue what happened. Hubby checked on him at 5am and he was gone. He had spit up all of his crop contents. I was hoping he would make it to the vets. He was fine yesterday morning and at his 2:00 feeding. After that he went downhill.

kali

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kelly
It can happen so quickly. I hope you plan on a necropsy so you can learn what happened and how to steer clear of it next time.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am so very very s or ry for your loss...it does sound like it was sour c rop...so very sorry..fly free little one fly free ..:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so very sorry for your loss.:(

Conurechicken

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Karen
So sorry for the loss of your little one. I too recommend a necropsy (animal autopsy) to find out what was wrong.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.