• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand taming

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I can tell already (and I expected as much) that hand taming these guys is going to require the patience beyond sainthood... I do recognize that they may not be able to be tamed, but I am going to continue to try my hardest. Here is what I have been working on lately (and yes I know it is still VERY early in the game).

1. Moved my desk next to their cage and have been spending most, if not all of the day with them.
2. Once they settled in I started getting them more comfortable with my hand occasionally reaching in the cage. At this stage they were now pretty calm as long as I was not reaching directly for them.
3. I then spent several hours just leaving my hand in the cage near the floor.
4. I then moved onto sticking a little bit of spray millet in my hand and leaving my hand in the cage. They will come to my hand, but will not step on my hand unless by accident. They are ok with a toe or breast brushing up against my fingers though so making progress it seems. I can also now hold their food bowl calmly between my thumb and index finger and they will come perch on the bowl and eat pretty happily.
5. I briefly tried to use a perch to approach them, but they were a little frightened by the perch so I decided to stop for now. However, last night, I was able to bring my finger within 1/2" of Emma and she seemed ok with it.

Lastly, I am also sitting now with the cage doors completely open. Yes I have eliminated as many bird hazards as I can in the room. They have floated out a few times on accident, hung out on top of the cage, and eventually made they way back inside without me having to catch them. I stayed calm, and let them explore a little bit to see if they would find there way back, that way I would not have to terrorize them with a net. They don't seem to be too interested in leaving which makes sense and is a good thing. I figured keeping the cage doors open while I sit with them may help. If they start becoming more adventurous (without being hand tame yet), then I guess I will have to stop with the cage doors open, but for the time being they seem ok and 99.99% of the time stay inside.

I know I just need to have patience patience patience and I am sure that is what everyone here will tell me over and over again. I'm not trying to rush things, but I am coming to you all to report this status and see how you think my progress is going and if you have any recommendations for me on what I should do next, or stop doing, or go back and do more of, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
Well so far you look like you are doing great!
Congrats on getting them to eat from your hand,
Most finches only do that if they have been hand reared.

I always tell myself to make sure every interaction is a positive one,
So my birds will look forward to me coming into my aviary :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Excellent!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If you need advice i have a couple people I can ask -- but I don't think you need it!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I just feel like my progress is plateauing a bit. So essentially I am at the point where all I know to do is just keep doing what I am doing and be patient. I just want to make sure I am not missing a next step or an intermediary step that might be easier for them. Right now I am working on getting them to build up enough confidence to actually step onto (even if just one foot) one of my fingers. I have pulled the millet a little further away to encourage this. I think this is just a BIG step (well a relative BIG step for them hahahaha) and it's just going to take a lot more time. I'm just gonna keep heading on this path for the next few days unless someone has another suggestion. Hopefully given enough time one of them will hold their breath and take a step. My hand must be made of acid lol ;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are both very cute and seems that you are doing OK with them.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You are a great bird dad.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
"Just do what the caique wants, and nobody gets hurt...."

I just love that soooooo much. If I end up with a Caique down the road I might have to put that on a wood plaque above the cage with your permission.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh wow! Your doing absolutely wonderfully! Patience, patience, and more patience is the way to go. Take things at their pace :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
"Just do what the caique wants, and nobody gets hurt...."

I just love that soooooo much. If I end up with a Caique down the road I might have to put that on a wood plaque above the cage with your permission.
Yes, you may use it.
It helps me when Joey is grouchy.