• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand tamed African Love bird

Demha

Moving in
Real Name
ahmed
I have 3 hand tamed african love birds recently i gave them to a friend of mine as he like to keep them he says they are very friendly but bite the finger and its painfull , even with me it was biting but not that hard , what could be the reason ? i told him to keep squid shell in the cage , most of the time they are free flying in side the home. Please advice.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Ahmed,

Be sure they are not all housed in one cage. They must be housed alone, or one bonded pair per cage.

Because a bird is tame with one person, doesn´t mean they will be that way for everyone. It will also take time for them to adjust to their new home with this new person. Tell your friend to not allow them to bite him, be sure to see the warning signs and move away. If they do bite, to just put them down on the closest safe surface and ignore them for one minute. Younger birds will adjust easier though you may find your 3 birds flock together and will not be too interested in the new human.

i told him to keep squid shell in the cage
A cuttlefish bone will help groom the beak, though it will never blunt it enough to take away the pain from bites.