• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand rearing

AussieLovi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kim
Hi - I have a lovebird pair and they have a 16 day baby in their small nest.
How and when do I start to handle/feed the baby?
When do I take the baby out and give it more space to move around in?
I want the parents to be able to always interact with the baby so I don't want to take it to another room etc but I want to hand rear and ensure it is not scared of me.
Thanks in advance.
Kim.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
I usually pulled my LB babies at 3wks [when their tails start to 'pop']. Kept them in an aquarium tank in the bird room, feeding them there in a large bowl. Different clutches combined, which some people don't like.

Though we did purchase a baby LB [newly arrived at a pet store] that had not been handfed by the breeder, but just handled continuously in the nest box. That still was a surprisingly good bird! Still very handleable.

I just LOVE my LBs!!! Especially when they all cuddle on the back of my neck, tho really makes a tangle of my hair!
YOU WEAR A LOVEBIRD! Steve says they're a 'flying sugar cube'! Hope you enjoy them mom!

AussieLovi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kim
I usually pulled my LB babies at 3wks [when their tails start to 'pop']. Kept them in an aquarium tank in the bird room, feeding them there in a large bowl. Different clutches combined, which some people don't like.

Though we did purchase a baby LB [newly arrived at a pet store] that had not been handfed by the breeder, but just handled continuously in the nest box. That still was a surprisingly good bird! Still very handleable.

I just LOVE my LBs!!! Especially when they all cuddle on the back of my neck, tho really makes a tangle of my hair!
YOU WEAR A LOVEBIRD! Steve says they're a 'flying sugar cube'! Hope you enjoy them mom!
Thanks so much! I will leave baby there till 3 weeks and then will go from there...
I have baby formula ready and have a chick breeder ready to ensure the baby stays warm. The baby is starting to chirp a lot now which is super cute.
:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How and when do I start to handle/feed the baby?
If the parents are feeding the baby well, allow them to do it. You can handle the baby from 4 weeks, for very short periods of time at first. As their feathers grow in and they are able to maintain their body temp you will be able to spend longer with them away from the hens warmth.

Some breeders pull the birds from the nest for feeding at 3-4 weeks old, but if you don´t know how to or have no experience, then don´t attempt to.

I want the parents to be able to always interact with the baby
If this is your goal, then leaving the baby in their care, but interacting with him/her for short periods of time daily will build up a relationship so the little one won´t be scared of you.
You will see how the parents wean the young chick, by bringing them out to the food dish. When you see this, you will be able to offer the little guy some millet or some pellets from your hand during your interaction time. (approx 5-6weeks old).
Eventually you will have to remove the chick from the parents care at 7-8 weeks old and move him/her into their own home (cage). You can sit the cages next to each other so they can interact safely, and allow them the same time out of the cages together.

I have my parents cage pressed right up to their youngsters cage. I often find them in the same area all looking at each other or cheeping to one another. The little ones always go straight to find mum once I let them out to fly. They all get on well excpet when there´s eggs, they don´t mix well at all.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
@AussieLovi -- I AGREE W/ Zara-- especially if you don't have any handfeeding experience-- there are many factors that work into this decision, that you can't prepare for until they happen... I'm so thankful I had a lady who showed me the ropes before I attempted anything...

Of course you won't get any experience until you actually get experience! You need to do plenty of reading [many threads referring to handfeeding], and hopefully get a 'hands-on' from someone w/ experience... Bedding choice and warmth, both of their body temp and FOOD TEMP... are VITAL!

If you mess up-- either the bird will be dead, or maimed for the rest of their life! Big decisions! Birds are not a playtoy! Think this through...