• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand raising 5 Week Old Cockatiels (Formula and Brooder Tank)

RinnLord

Moving in
Hi All!

Question here from a novice breeder but experienced cockatiel owner (25 years experience). My cockatiel babies are going to be turning 5 weeks old tomorrow. I've been hand raising them in a brooder tank since the oldest turned 3 weeks. I have been successfully hand-feeding them formula and they have accepted it very eagerly from the 3rd full day of my hand-feeding them.

I'm now getting close to the point where I will be taking them out of the brooder tank (as all are almost completely feathered). I have introduced seed and pellets, spray millet and water, and will be starting on brown rice and noodles and soaked Cheerios too. I have a few questions about this next stage about entering: weaning. I've done all the reading and researching and watching of videos that i can, and now I need some additional input.

1) First off, from oldest to youngest, they are starting to eat less formula (and even rejecting it). Everywhere I read says they should be eating 2-3 times a day, 11-15 mLs a day, but I can't get anywhere near that with some of them, and don't want to force them. Do I continue to offer them formula? I know not to expect them to be weaned; I've only just started the process.
-Yes, they are nibbling on the spray millet I've put in the tank.
-Yes, they can fly

2) I did learn today that some will accept formula via syringe more if they're put back into the brooder tank vs me handling them. Is that expected? Should they be expected to eat it either way? They are all tame and handled, so I don't really understand why they'd take in the tank versus me holding them.

3) Have I waited too long to put them in a cage (with no grate, low perches, food and water?)

4) I have been keeping them still in semi-darkness (covered by towels, also to help keep in warmth), and they get lamp light and sunlight when I feed them during the day. Should they be receiving more light than I've giving them?

I welcome honest but kind answers! So far I've received great input from two other members on this forum (which I greatly appreciate!) and I would appreciate to continue getting honest and kind answers. This isn't just a hobby or for fun, and my area where I live has HIGH demand for Cockatiels, as already confirmed in my own experience (all five of my babies already have waiting homes), talking with pet stores, and seeing the numerous In Search Of posts on social media sites.

Thank you!
@Mockinbirdiva
@finchly

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
1) First off, from oldest to youngest, they are starting to eat less formula (and even rejecting it). Everywhere I read says they should be eating 2-3 times a day, 11-15 mLs a day, but I can't get anywhere near that with some of them, and don't want to force them. Do I continue to offer them formula? I know not to expect them to be weaned; I've only just started the process.
-Yes, they are nibbling on the spray millet I've put in the tank.
-Yes, they can fly
I would keep offering it until they reject it altogether. Although they nibble, they're not getting significant nutrition yet from eating.
2) I did learn today that some will accept formula via syringe more if they're put back into the brooder tank vs me handling them. Is that expected? Should they be expected to eat it either way? They are all tame and handled, so I don't really understand why they'd take in the tank versus me holding them.
They should eat either way but if they eat better in the brooder, do that.
3) Have I waited too long to put them in a cage (with no grate, low perches, food and water?)
No. :)
4) I have been keeping them still in semi-darkness (covered by towels, also to help keep in warmth), and they get lamp light and sunlight when I feed them during the day. Should they be receiving more light than I've giving them?
Yes definitely. Maybe the light will encourage them to eat (formula) better.

Don't forget about offering vegetables, too. You can steam and chop them, and they'll nibble for hours on a couple Tablespoons. Plus they'll accept them much better for their new owners.

Wow that's crazy that there's so much demand! We should ship you some from rescue!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
some will accept formula via syringe more if they're put back into the brooder tank
I have always fed my chicks on my table or counter on a teatowel.. however my latest little ones prefered to be in the brooder also. It was a first for me but they were eating while in there so that´s what we did.

Only transfer these birds to a cage once they are fully feathered, so they can regulate their own body temperatures.

Don't forget about offering vegetables, too.
Yes, offering veggies after the formula will be the time they are most likely to give them a try. I´m sure their new owners would love for them to arrive home with a hungry for veggies already :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I think your questions have been answered as I'd say the same. The only thing I have to add would be to substitute the brown rice, noodles and cheerios for foods that have more nutritional values. Cooked mashed sweet potatoes, cooked squash ( acorn, butternut, buttercup, spagetti squash...) and cooked quinoa would be better choices for your babies to wean onto.... as well as soaked pellets. Cybele's brand 'noodles' are made from one ingredient with four options available if you really want to feed noodles. I'm sure there are other companies that made noodles with healthier ingredients too... just google vegetable noodles.