• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand feeding tips?

Birblover7

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Josie
the parents stopped feeding them, once again but at 4 weeks this time. They laid more eggs, and have completely stopped feeding all but one of the babies. We plan on removing the box as this is clearly becoming a problem.
anyway, we took on hand feeding these guys with no other choice. After the last batch we ordered hand feeding syringes and food. Two of the babies take it great, they bob their head and go absolutely crazy, but the other 3 babies refuse it. I’m worried about forcibly holding them still that they’ll end up hating humans, but at this point it’s better than starving.
Any tips to make this easier? One of the birds who refuses it will take just a little bit well before she starts refusing it everytime.
This isn’t our first time hand feeding, but I’m still inexperienced and learning.

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
Have you tried different methods with the babies that dont like the syringe?

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I've seen some breeders use spoons. Are they showing any feeding responses? Bobbing etc.?

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
Not the ones that that don’t take it. They just back off and try to wiggle their heads away

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
Not the ones that that don’t take it. They just back off and try to wiggle their heads away
Will they open their mouths when you rub the sides of their beaks? You said they are 4 weeks?

Last edited:

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I'm no expert hopefully @Zara can give you some advice here.

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
They do open their beaks if I push on it with slight force, but then like I said they’ll try to pull back

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Don´t force as you can accidentally aspirate them. Best to try, and if they pull back twice, just leave them and try again a short while later. Weigh regularly and if they don´t eat well and lose weight, you will have to gavage feed. That´s obviously always the last resort.

Birblover7

Real Name
Josie
I saw their dad feeding them for the first time in days! They still had very very little food in them though so we tried to feed them again