• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand Feeding Macaw Chick

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
How is the baby today
He is doing okay... no more panting but he did regurgitate a little when I tried to feed him a little bit more. So still down to 60cc at this stage. Even got up in the middle of night last night to give him a feed as I feel like he is emptying the 60cc in four hours and don’t want him going hungry for so long. But he is wheezing and sneezing a bit (which the vet is aware off). His feeding response still hasn’t come back so it’s stressful feeding him as have to go super slow and always scared he is going breath some food in again.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Just an update .... he is keeping the meds down. But even with 60 cc fives times a day getting a little bit of regutiation :( its only a tiny amount probably like 2-3 ml buts sad to see. No panting even with the hot day we had yesterday as it reached 38 celcius outside. But his weight has stalled at about 1040 at the moment. I wish I could feed him more....but the vet said I have to make sure that his crop is emptying between feeds (especially as the anti fungul needs to be fed on empty crop to work..i need to make sure he is completely empty before his nighttime meal) and also can't get more into him due to the regurgitation. We are back to vet on Thursday. Just wish there was more of an improvement (especially in terms of his weight) by this stage as he has been on the medicine since Thursday morning and today is Tuesday. But the vet did say that it will take at least two weeks of antibiotics (at a minimum) to clear it up. I feel so guilty over it all too, all my fault :(((

Matthew85

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Matthew
Rio is staying around 1030 grams eating 100cc 4 times a day she don't seem to gain alot like she did when she was a baby

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just an update .... he is keeping the meds down. But even with 60 cc fives times a day getting a little bit of regutiation :( its only a tiny amount probably like 2-3 ml buts sad to see. No panting even with the hot day we had yesterday as it reached 38 celcius outside. But his weight has stalled at about 1040 at the moment. I wish I could feed him more....but the vet said I have to make sure that his crop is emptying between feeds (especially as the anti fungul needs to be fed on empty crop to work..i need to make sure he is completely empty before his nighttime meal) and also can't get more into him due to the regurgitation. We are back to vet on Thursday. Just wish there was more of an improvement (especially in terms of his weight) by this stage as he has been on the medicine since Thursday morning and today is Tuesday. But the vet did say that it will take at least two weeks of antibiotics (at a minimum) to clear it up. I feel so guilty over it all too, all my fault :((
I can’t imagine how stressful this is for you. I have no experience to share, but just wanted to send good thoughts and prayers. It sounds as though you are doing everything you can! Hang in there!

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
I can’t imagine how stressful this is for you. I have no experience to share, but just wanted to send good thoughts and prayers. It sounds as though you are doing everything you can! Hang in there!
Thank you so much! Really appreciate your support

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Be aware that fungal infections generally take longer to completely cure, because of the nature of the fungus itself. Hang in there and keep up the good nursing. Patience!

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
So today he actually gained a little bit of weight and is up to 1071 grams. I again got up middle of the night to give him a feed. This seems to be working the best as it lets him empty his crop between his late afternoon feed and night time feed and between his middle of night feed and mornign feed which I've pushed forward to about 9:30 am (instead of 7 am) and so he is on about 5-6 feeds a day.

I noticed the regurgitation happens more when he lies down on his crop. I fed him about an hour and half ago and he was fine playing and flapping and trying to perch a bit. Then got tired and lay down to sleep...about 10 min later he jumped up and regugitated and now is lying down and panting a little bit. I recall @Macawnutz you mentioned your little guy did something similar? Was this when he was sick? Anything I can do to help him (like decrease feeding amoutn and increase frequency even more, or maybe elivate him somehow)? Also @Macawnutz how long did it take Korbel to clear his infection? The vet mentioned at least 2 weeks ..... was it this long or even longer? Thank you

I am back at the vet this afternoon instead of tomorrow as need to get more antibiotics as they ran out this morning. I will let you guys know what the vet says.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are doing a great job and noticing links between actions and reactions in your sweet Blu--I think that's a very good thing :) Please do let us know what your vet has to say.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So today he actually gained a little bit of weight and is up to 1071 grams. I again got up middle of the night to give him a feed. This seems to be working the best as it lets him empty his crop between his late afternoon feed and night time feed and between his middle of night feed and mornign feed which I've pushed forward to about 9:30 am (instead of 7 am) and so he is on about 5-6 feeds a day.

I noticed the regurgitation happens more when he lies down on his crop. I fed him about an hour and half ago and he was fine playing and flapping and trying to perch a bit. Then got tired and lay down to sleep...about 10 min later he jumped up and regugitated and now is lying down and panting a little bit. I recall @Macawnutz you mentioned your little guy did something similar? Was this when he was sick? Anything I can do to help him (like decrease feeding amoutn and increase frequency even more, or maybe elivate him somehow)? Also @Macawnutz how long did it take Korbel to clear his infection? The vet mentioned at least 2 weeks ..... was it this long or even longer? Thank you

I am back at the vet this afternoon instead of tomorrow as need to get more antibiotics as they ran out this morning. I will let you guys know what the vet says.
Baby blu, can you do a video of how runny the formula is? 60cc should not be overfilling him to the point that lying down would be an issue. When Korbel was suspected to have had that issue he was fed well over 120cc. Probably more but I can't recall. Also, no... we will not talk about Korbel's story as you are not going down that road. Korbel's road was very scary but the ending was good.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Baby blu, can you do a video of how runny the formula is? 60cc should not be overfilling him to the point that lying down would be an issue. When Korbel was suspected to have had that issue he was fed well over 120cc. Probably more but I can't recall. Also, no... we will not talk about Korbel's story as you are not going down that road. Korbel's road was very scary but the ending was good.
I will make a video tonight.
I’ll let the vet know and see what she says.
Meanwhile here is a picture of Blu learning to perch :) I put a perch in his box and he has been obsessed in trying to stand on it since then. Finally getting the hang of it 2BBAF190-423D-4808-B9BE-FE940C761400.jpeg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Looking good. What is the substrate? Lets replace it something he doesn't accidentally swallow.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Looking good. What is the substrate? Lets replace it something he doesn't accidentally swallow.
I did lots of research and came across and Australian hand rearing sight which mentioned a litter made from rice hulls which stated that it was safe if swolled. The only one they use.

Baby blu

Strolling the yard
Typically for smaller babies you might use some folded up newspaper covered with paper towel. Change this at every feed. Alternatively, and more especially for larger and older babies a cat litte
alex babies 2a
r called Max’s Cat Litter is suitable since it is made from rice husks, and will not harm the baby if it swallows some. ALL other cat litters that I am aware of are NOT suitable. Max's Cat Litter can be used until it starts to turn powdery, when it needs changing. The disadvantage of this litter over paper towel is that it is much harder to monitor the chick’s droppings.