• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand Feeding & Free Flight

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Hello, from the past forums I have encountered, it has been established that hand-feeding is not necessary for free flight training as long as you have the proper recall, startle, ascend, descend, hide & seek, etc. training indoor (same goes for hand-fed babies).

Yet, imprinting does have its functions, and coming from a country wherein there is a very active community of free flight birds from Budgies to Macaws, almost EVERY trainer I have spoke with says that while it may be essential, it is better if they are hand-fed.

What are your thoghts on this and why if so? From my experience with fostering birds, my experience tells me that even with extreme patience, I have found hand-fed birds far easier to train and better bonded than those that came as adults...but that's just my experience, and it's only smaller parrots and parakeets...

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I do not know what species that you are looking to fly, but @Sarah13 free flies macaws. You can check some of her threads.

Sarah13

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Hello, from the past forums I have encountered, it has been established that hand-feeding is not necessary for free flight training as long as you have the proper recall, startle, ascend, descend, hide & seek, etc. training indoor (same goes for hand-fed babies).

Yet, imprinting does have its functions, and coming from a country wherein there is a very active community of free flight birds from Budgies to Macaws, almost EVERY trainer I have spoke with says that while it may be essential, it is better if they are hand-fed.

What are your thoghts on this and why if so? From my experience with fostering birds, my experience tells me that even with extreme patience, I have found hand-fed birds far easier to train and better bonded than those that came as adults...but that's just my experience, and it's only smaller parrots and parakeets...
Hand feeding is not needed for a bond/free flight training but it does greatly expedite and facilitate the flight training process especially if you are new to it. Risk midigation is the idea and mistakes are much more forgivable for a multitude of reasons versus taking on an adult bird/one that is past the weaning stage.
Plus, you are with the bird during multiple phases of critical development...all of which happen before weaning occurs, so that is extremely helpful and the difference is overwhelmingly obvious.

I support hand feeding if done properly.
Many here tend to hype it up/ shame it extensively but just ignore them.
Heed the warnings of course but from there, you do what you want.
I love hand feeding and flight training a baby you're hand feeding versus an adult are incredible for different reasons.

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Yes I do notice that some people shame other people in other forums for hand feeding and taking the bird earlier, yet the entire ownership of pet ownership of birds in the first place can even be put in question. I think it's a matter of allowing someone to get an unweaned bird (or weaned) that is NOT knowledgeable of basic bird caging, time, etc. needs. I know breeders who handfeed yet they don't bother handling the bird and socializing it with other things.

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
I do not know what species that you are looking to fly, but @Sarah13 free flies macaws. You can check some of her threads.
I am just flying Lovebirds...I have free flown 3 of them 20 years ago...I did not even train them; and they actually barely flew (just want to stay with me, and sometimes they'll bully other birds and squirrels in the area I let them hang out with uncaged). For now, however, I am creating a meetup group in Toronto for small bird owners (Cockatiels, Budgies, Grass Keets and Lovebirds), and we are going to fly them in a huge enclosed area. They may not escape, but it will still be hassle to get them back to the cage if they don't have recall..lol.

Aurornis

Meeting neighbors
Hand feeding is not needed for a bond/free flight training but it does greatly expedite and facilitate the flight training process especially if you are new to it. Risk midigation is the idea and mistakes are much more forgivable for a multitude of reasons versus taking on an adult bird/one that is past the weaning stage.
Plus, you are with the bird during multiple phases of critical development...all of which happen before weaning occurs, so that is extremely helpful and the difference is overwhelmingly obvious.

I support hand feeding if done properly.
Heed the warnings of course but from there, you do what you want.
I love hand feeding and flight training a baby you're hand feeding versus an adult are incredible for different reasons.
thanks for the input, Sarah. It's actually good to hear from someone who can vouch that hand feeding is not necessary for free flight training yet also acknowledges that hand feeding makes a difference.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
No problem! Emotive versus objective thinking is often a theme here so just be careful of course and enjoy the journey.

That is so neat about the littles getting flight opportunities!
I'd love to see or have my bird participate in such an enriching event should I own a small species.
Have a great time!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think the OP needs to do some more research in order to be able to make an informed decision about hand feeding. I haven't seen hype or shaming on AA. I have seen opposing views - all the viewpoints are needed to make an informed decision.

OP, please do some research in non-bird, psychology resources too, like PsychINFO. I know nothing of free flying (but think it's awesome!), but I do know something of psychology & there are very valid concerns about imprinting, which is irreversible.

Sarah13

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I think the OP needs to do some more research in order to be able to make an informed decision about hand feeding. I haven't seen hype or shaming on AA. I have seen opposing views - all the viewpoints are needed to make an informed decision.

OP, please do some research in non-bird, psychology resources too, like PsychINFO. I know nothing of free flying (but think it's awesome!), but I do know something of psychology & there are very valid concerns about imprinting, which is irreversible.
Of course
Nice, we are in agreement in regards to the importance of "done properly" and "heed the warnings" regarding hand feeding.
Things can go wrong very quickly.
I don't know the OP's knowledge nor skill base hence the encouragement regarding hand feeding but obviously when research has been done and using caution.
A mentor is ideal with an AV in the know with what is going on with the new baby/ guidance/ support etc

Imprinting can yes, lead to some....issues is definitely one way to put it.
I just addressed the hand feeding portion of the inquiry, sorry.

It's been almost a decade and even longer in some places...I've unfortunately seen some pretty out there stuff posted/commented.
Not this literal thread and or heading of course but on AA and or other forums/groups in general.

You have to careful what you post and how.
Many sadly refuse to do so because of how people can get on here and other such places.