• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hand feeding baby green cheek questions

Chusi<3

Moving in
hi there! i recently purchased an unweaned baby (something i would never do again). i took him to the vet, got a clean bill of health, and she taught me how to hand feed. i currently feed between 104-108 degrees, about 8-10cc per feeding, 4x a day. the baby is 34 days old and 75g. i was wondering if it is time to drop a feeding? is this the correct amount to be giving each feeding? im concerned that if i lessen the dosage/ number of feedings he will lose weight. thank you so much for your help! CA7AB650-0D42-4A48-BD08-65DB368E99C6.jpeg

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No dropped feedings just yet. Every GCC I’ve raised they’re still on 4 feedings at 8 weeks old and fully feathered. Then they mostly drop to 3 feedings about that time. Some stay on 4 feedings until 10 weeks old, and kinda flip flop between 3 or 4 depending on if they’re active and flying and get hungry that day.
Whenever you drop a feed, yes the baby will drop weight if it isn’t mouthing enough softened seed to make up for the drop in calories or big enough that the remaining feeds can be sized to get enough calories in. I don’t drop from 4 feeds to 3 until I see baby really playing with and attempting to eat or beak on softened seed or mash, which is at about the 8-10 week mark. GCC commonly go fast at the end, (the 2 daily feeds to 1 a day then none) but you really don’t want to rush it this early, in my opinion. He’ll probably be weaned completely by 16 weeks, they almost all are in my experience as they love getting on regular food once the get the just of it. So just hang tight. Baby stage doesn’t last forever thankfully.
Feeding 10% of his body weight (give or take) each feeding is the gold standard and you’re pretty much there. I think you’re doing great for the pickle you found yourself in! Good job.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I should add that I do abundance weaning, and I do not start weaning babies simply because a calendar says so.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
about 8-10cc per feeding, 4x a day. the baby is 34 days old and 75g
So baby is 75g, meaning each feed should be 7.5CC, you can do 8CC that would be a good amount. If he´s still hungry after the 8CC, you can offer some mashed warm veggies on a spoon (depending on consistency, you might need to add a drop of water to match the consistency to the formula you are feeding).

i was wondering if it is time to drop a feeding?
No, keep as you are for now.

Also, I don´t feed above 105F. I would wait an extra minute until the food cools just a smidge more.