• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand feeding advice, Budgies

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
This sounds really morbid, but I have a mini fridge for animal food/medicine and I cleared it out and am using it as a morgue. I have a friend in veterinary medicine and she said to refrigerate her and strongly recommended I push the store to do a necropsy. They didn’t want to though, so I kept her just in case anything like this or worse happened.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I have a video of him from that morning but I am having issues uploading it. he was just as sweet and rowdy as usual, he even made his first sound like a big bird yesterday, it was so cool - like the very first time a puppy barks. He was very pleased with himself for that.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
so I kept her
I would take the two and get necropsies done for both. The sooner the better. And once they are gone, gut the fridge and sterilize it thoroughly.

I upload videos to youtube and then post the links here. I´m glad you have a video of him so you can watch it and remember him ❤

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Gosh, I'm so sorry for your loss of Tink. Should you go forward with the necropsy you might want to inquire about Polyoma as well.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Oh no... I'm so sorry :sorrow:
Fly high, Tink.
I hope the necropsies can give you some answers.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh man.... I just ran across this thread today. I surely never expected this ending though. My heart is just crushed for you Maggie. Not only did you put your heart and soul into caring for them, but the LOVE... oh my gosh! As others have said here, thank God they had you and thank goodness Tink knew he was so loved, and safe with you. That pet store owner - ugh! I think of both of their names as something like 'No-Price' and 'Priceless'. I am so very very sorry. Please know that I'm praying you will be comforted by the thought you did your very very best. Hugs and prayers to you today.

Kodigirl210

I’m sorry for your losses. They truly had the best lives they could in the short time they had because of you and only you! Take comfort in that if nothing else. Sending positive thoughts that your PFL is safe and sound-hoping the kids just had a genetic condition. :sorrow:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I know I am sensitive but this has been a really hard loss. I had to adjust to just one little voice crying at me to no voice at all. Waking up in silence is heartbreaking. It seems unbearably cruel to have lost them both. I have been sterilizing and hoping for the best. I don’t know when the results will be in but I have hope that it was genetic. Since the person who brought them into the store didn’t even know they were budgies, it really could have been anything. The vet tech said most illnesses take the smallest and weakest first and the ticking time bomb of something genetic seems way more likely as Tink stayed strong and healthy until he very suddenly was not. Though it may have been two separate things as well.

My PFL has her new official name now as Giuliana (formerly Giuseppe) she bit absolutely everyone at the vet and has been mad at me since Wednesday. I had thought she had all her flight feathers in but she’s actually still molting. She is reportedly in good health and feather but they did prep me for needing multiple negative tests in the event PBFD is identified in either baby.

Kodigirl210

Sad situation indeed. Life sometimes seems like a random collection of events. Take away from this that every minute counts and the unexpected joy can be worth the unexpected pain that follows. Those babies had the best lives possible no matter how impossibly short they seemed. And we will keep positive about your PFL. :hug8:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Take away from this that every minute counts and the unexpected joy can be worth the unexpected pain that follows. Those babies had the best lives possible no matter how impossibly short they seemed.
I couldn’t have said it better, the pain is evidence of the extraordinary love those two angels blessed my life with and I am so proud to have shared them and their lives with everyone here ❤ even 15 years wouldn’t have been enough time with them and I know that. I’m glad to have known them and to know without a doubt that they were loved and never once thought of as less than precious.

I would do it a thousand times over, every bird deserves to be loved completely and to be loved by any animal is a gift. I will however be much more careful with quarantines in the future, regardless of the outcome.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your losses.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am very sorry you are going through this. I do not think it is being sensitive, I think it is just being human. It makes me sad just thinking about it so I would imagine it has hit you pretty hard.

I have hope that it was genetic. Since the person who brought them into the store didn’t even know they were budgies,
Yea, it could be resulting from bad breeding.

she bit absolutely everyone at the vet and has been mad at me since Wednesday. I had thought she had all her flight feathers in but she’s actually still molting.
It is common for lovebirds to be pretty grouchy and nippy during moulting. I like to offer baths daily, should they wish to bathe, it helps mine cut the attitude ;)

I would do it a thousand times over, every bird deserves to be loved completely and to be loved by any animal is a gift.
Well said. I agree 100% and I´ve said it many a times on this forum, no animal deserves any less.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hey, did you figure out what happened to the chicks?

I hope you are well and getting by ❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
The AV is supposed to get back to me today, when I called yesterday the vet tech I spoke with asked what temperature I keep my house at, nothing on PBFD or anything else though which is still nerve wracking but I have been watching everyone and there no signs of any illness or anything unusual. I’m trying to stay positive. Everyone is molting at once so that’s a bit torturous but the feathers are all normal, new and old.

I miss my little chicks, they were so very loved and wanted. It feels like I haven’t been able to mourn them because of the health scare. I’ve got a terrible case of budgie envy myself, it’s hard not to just want them back. I was so much more attached than I thought I needed to be and I am very grateful for that, at least I can know that in their lives they were loved and fretted over and whether or not I was fully aware of it, they knew how special they are. I’m glad to be the kind of person who can’t hold back, even if it occasionally wrecks my heart.

Kodigirl210

I think that babies hurt the most because of the potential we see and feel. Just like when a human child dies for no good reason. In your case the babies had you to advocate for them. :heart: Unlike that poor baby who died because his dad was losing at a video game. It just makes me sick how people care so little for life whether it’s animal or human. It’s even more insane when people are like “it was just a dumb bird. What’s the big deal.” I’ve yet to see where we are able to teach people compassion & empathy though I certainly wish we could. There’d be a lot less hate and meaningless death then. :cautious:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I got the results in Friday on everyone, all negative for PBFD! I had been calling Tink’s sister Blue, her results were inconclusive with “too cold” being the presumed cause. Tink showed signs of anaphylaxis, the doctor mentioned scorpions or spiders and I’m still embarrassed by how loudly I screamed at her face :o:

The scary thing is the day after Tink passed, my dog was under the table where I kept the incubator and he yelped. I did just strip the carpets and tile, so it’s possible either could have gotten in..Bleaugh!! I avoid poisons but I’ve used diatomaceous earth in my outdoor garden pots before as an insect deterrent. I thought about using that but even if it’s “safe” I wouldn’t want it indoors where my fids could get into it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I know this is a huge relief for you. Was the last baby in a container or cage? Do you think a bug might have bitten Tink? As much as we try it's impossible to prevent everything... they still had a better chance with you than the pet store. Hugs!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
It is a relief not to have to worry about PBFD, and the vet explained that in the case of scorpions and spiders, chicks can’t fly away so they’re at risk and kept in warm inviting incubators. At least it is somewhat of an answer.

They were both in the acrylic incubator except for one night-morning when I’d put Blue into her own cage, she passed sometime between 5am and 10am. Tink was in the plastic incubator when he let out a weird scream and within minutes he was gone. Right after the cry he rolled onto his back, his little face lit up with food excitement, then he couldn’t roll over and he began to struggle, labored breathing, and then the silence.

I have no experience with scorpions or spiders here. My dog got stung by a bee a few years back and had to be rushed to the vet, I gave him Benadryl and even then if I’d delayed, he would have died. I definitely see how anaphylaxis fits what happened but since he had no access to anything outside of the incubator it makes what got in really scary! A lot of people have scorpion problems here but I’ve only seen one once and it wasn’t at my house! I haven’t seen any spiders either… The only insects I definitely have seen are mosquitoes.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tink’s sister Blue, her results were inconclusive with “too cold” being the presumed cause. Tink showed signs of anaphylaxis, the doctor mentioned scorpions or spiders
At least the stress of some sort of contagious illness being the cause is gone.

Maybe you could start a thread and ask others how they spider/scorpion proof their bird rooms/cages.

Is is still sad all the same. I hope you are ok ❤

they still had a better chance with you than the pet store
I agree. :sadhug2:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
As much as we try it's impossible to prevent everything... they still had a better chance with you than the pet store. Hugs!
Thank you both ❤ I wish I could have given them more time, but I know I gave them my all and I saw it reflected in the way they looked at me. They may not have gotten to know much of life but they knew love and food, so the important things
At least the stress of some sort of contagious illness being the cause is gone.

Maybe you could start a thread and ask others how they spider/scorpion proof their bird rooms/cages.

Is is still sad all the same. I hope you are ok ❤
Oh yes, knowing that my lapse in quarantining put my family at risk was eating my stomach. I won’t be forgetting that lesson anytime soon. I’m doing surprisingly okay. I had Tink & Blue cremated and my dad helped me spread their ashes on the mountain by their house, overlooking the valley. It is a beautiful place, and one that would be so fun to fly top speed through with your sibling ❤

That’s a great idea on the thread! I know the best natural defense is to have a cat but that’s where the anaphylaxis wheel makes a turn back to me :facepalm: One of my neighbors told me to get a chicken but idk about a chicken in a flat. Maybe? I already have a rabbit...I’m just a few chickens, a goat and a pig shy of a farm, hold the farm.