• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hand feeding a baby quaker

djcinnova

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a baby quaker that is 6-8 weeks old. The breeder did not keep good records so I do not have a good hatch date. I think he pulled the babies to hand feed at 4 -5 weeks. My bird has been eating 2 syringes of food 4 times a day. In the past few days, it is less and less. It is now just taking1/2 to 3/4 full of syringes. I started offering her some softened food in a bowl and tried with a spoon. The bird doesn't seem very interested. It is active and alert and trying its wings out. Any suggestions on what to try? I have hand-fed many baby parrots before even from eggs but none ever decided to start the weaning process on their own.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue,

What size syringes?
How much does your bird weigh on an empty crop?

Is the bird fully feathered?

I have hand-fed many baby parrots before even from eggs but none ever decided to start the weaning process on their own.
The breeder did not keep good records so I do not have a good hatch date.
It could be the bird is older than you think and you are ¨behind¨ in the weaning process.
Also consider that some birds wean faster or slower than others so your bird could be one of those fast weaners.

Good info on weaning babies;

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have a baby quaker that is 6-8 weeks old. The breeder did not keep good records so I do not have a good hatch date. I think he pulled the babies to hand feed at 4 -5 weeks. My bird has been eating 2 syringes of food 4 times a day. In the past few days, it is less and less. It is now just taking1/2 to 3/4 full of syringes. I started offering her some softened food in a bowl and tried with a spoon. The bird doesn't seem very interested. It is active and alert and trying its wings out. Any suggestions on what to try? I have hand-fed many baby parrots before even from eggs but none ever decided to start the weaning process on their own.
Have you tried, chopped up soft Boiled

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
When I had Quaker Bzbies, , and they started to not be as interested, in formula, I would give them, some soft boiled eggs, all chopped up, you can try also millet, , Mine loved it as babies, Try some cooked vegetables, cooked Guinea, potatoes, cooked, anything soft, so they can taste the different textures,

djcinnova

Checking out the neighborhood
Welcome to the Avenue,

What size syringes?
How much does your bird weigh on an empty crop?

Is the bird fully feathered?

It could be the bird is older than you think and you are ¨behind¨ in the weaning process.
Also consider that some birds wean faster or slower than others so your bird could be one of those fast weaners.

Good info on weaning babies;
The bird is fully feathered. It actually has been flying around once it jumped on top of the container I have it in. The syringes are 10 ml. When I weighed her before feeding she was 3 oz or 85 grams and when full 3.4 oz or 96 grams. I have been feeding her more often but with less intake. It seems to want to chew and taste the formula. I have given her dry and wet pellets in 2 separate bowls, fresh veggies and fresh fruit (cut into small pieces) along with some cheerios. I was just concerned when it happened all of a sudden but the bird seems to be fine. Thank you all for your suggestions.