• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hamster?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I’m so excited to tell you guys that my grandma isn’t afraid of hamsters! My grandma is terrified of rats/mice and anything that looked like them, but I finally worked up the courage to show a picture them to her and she wasn’t scared! So now I’m thinking about hamsters as pets. I’m leaning towards the winter white dwarf hamster. Wondering if anyone had any tips or experience? (Also, I’m sorry that I’m posting this on a site that’s supposed to be about birds but this is wonderful news to me.)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hamsters are so cute. I kept many as a kid and had one as a young adult.

My only tip, don't feed iceberg lettuce. It's just full of water. Light on the greens, they love alfalfa and occasionally ours love dry cat food treats. They love sunflower, but easy on those seeds. A good quality mix with alfalfa pellets or vitamin fortified pellets.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm really glad to hear this!

Hamsters need a LOT of space - most commercially available hamster cages are too small. They often come with cheap gimmicks that are more for the humans than of any benefit to the hamster. I don't know if they're still available, but when I was a kid modular hamster homes with connecting tubes were popular, and it turns out that these are horrible for the hamster (too small and doesn't allow them to dig) and for the humans (impossible to keep clean and expensive). They look tempting but don't get one. Instead, I'd go for a big but low cage, and be sure to check the bar spacing. Ferplast do a couple of nice ones like CRICETI 100 | Large cage for hamsters - Ferplast and CRICETI 15 | Hamster cage with opening roof - Ferplast

Wheels must be large enough for the hamster to keep its spine straight while using it, and must be solid. The wheels with rungs can trap and injure their limbs. If you can find one, Silent Spinners and Flying Saucers are very good.

Hamsters enjoy foraging so you can use a lot of the ideas from this site!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's so good to hear!

It's great that you found the right pet for you!

Even though your not getting a bird, still stick around. Enjoy AA and share lots of hamster pics!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Hamsters need a LOT of space - most commercially available hamster cages are too small. They often come with cheap gimmicks that are more for the humans than of any benefit to the hamster. I don't know if they're still available, but when I was a kid modular hamster homes with connecting tubes were popular, and it turns out that these are horrible for the hamster (too small and doesn't allow them to dig) and for the humans (impossible to keep clean and expensive). They look tempting but don't get one. Instead, I'd go for a big but low cage, and be sure to check the bar spacing. Ferplast do a couple of nice ones like CRICETI 100 | Large cage for hamsters - Ferplast and CRICETI 15 | Hamster cage with opening roof - Ferplast

Wheels must be large enough for the hamster to keep its spine straight while using it, and must be solid. The wheels with rungs can trap and injure their limbs. If you can find one, Silent Spinners and Flying Saucers are very good.

Great post!! A couple other cage ideas is Ikea's detolf, people flip it on it's side and use it that way. If you go to YouTube and search hamster detolf cage you'll find lots of examples. One downside is you have to make a lid for it.

Another option is this prevue cage Small Animal Home Universal - Dark Gray 528 Prevue Pet Products

I wish you lots of luck :)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also, I’m sorry that I’m posting this on a site that’s supposed to be about birds but this is wonderful news to me.

That´s why the Critter corner forum was created ;)

please do intrtoduce the little guy once s/he´s home! :D I love anything furry!!! :loveshower:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww I love hamsters. There are so many different kinds! We had a few when the kids were young and really liked them. We actually took them out at the same time as our rabbits. Not sure that was safe, but it worked for us.

My daughter had one hamster for many years and he died, or so we thought. He was curled up and certainly appeared dead. We handled him and mourned over him, then decided to bury him outside. As we opened the door and the cold winter air rushed in, the hamster sat up and looked at us! He did actually die that night, but holy crap, my daughter and I almost fainted. Eek! Almost buried alive!

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana

My daughter had one hamster for many years and he died, or so we thought. He was curled up and certainly appeared dead. We handled him and mourned over him, then decided to bury him outside. As we opened the door and the cold winter air rushed in, the hamster sat up and looked at us! He did actually die that night, but holy crap, my daughter and I almost fainted. Eek! Almost buried alive!

That actually happened to my African Dwarf frogs: I thought they died but turns out I buried them alive! I’m still guilty. :(

Thanks for all the advice!!

That's so good to hear!

It's great that you found the right pet for you!

Even though your not getting a bird, still stick around. Enjoy AA and share lots of hamster pics!

That´s why the Critter corner forum was created ;)

please do intrtoduce the little guy once s/he´s home! :D I love anything furry!!! :loveshower:

Congratulations! :) Share pictures when you get him/her! I never had a hamster, always thought that they were cute though!
Not sure if I’m getting a hamster yet, still researching, but if I do, I’ll definitely post pictures!
Hamsters are so cute. I kept many as a kid and had one as a young adult.

My only tip, don't feed iceberg lettuce. It's just full of water. Light on the greens, they love alfalfa and occasionally ours love dry cat food treats. They love sunflower, but easy on those seeds. A good quality mix with alfalfa pellets or vitamin fortified pellets.

Thanks for the insight!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

That actually happened to my African Dwarf frogs: I thought they died but turns out I buried them alive! I’m still guilty.
As a child my friend accidentally flushed her living goldfish down the toilet and then saw the dead one still in the bowl. :(
Sorry how this thread is going. Traumatizing!

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
As a child my friend accidentally flushed her living goldfish down the toilet and then saw the dead one still in the bowl. :(
Sorry how this thread is going. Traumatizing!

Oh my! I can’t imagine. It’s okay :smuggrin:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I’m so excited to tell you guys that my grandma isn’t afraid of hamsters! My grandma is terrified of rats/mice and anything that looked like them, but I finally worked up the courage to show a picture them to her and she wasn’t scared! So now I’m thinking about hamsters as pets. I’m leaning towards the winter white dwarf hamster. Wondering if anyone had any tips or experience? (Also, I’m sorry that I’m posting this on a site that’s supposed to be about birds but this is wonderful news to me.)
To my grey, ....sadly it's still a mouse!
He's known to chase them down and.....weeeeeellllll......R.i.p...poor mouse.
:devil::wasntme:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Not sure if I’m getting a hamster yet, still researching, but if I do, I’ll definitely post pictures!

Please do keep us posted on your journey to find a companion :)
You are very wise and mature to be doing so much research. Even a small pet such as a mouse or hamster is a big commitment, especially for a younger person.
If more kids were doing research like this I´m sure there would be a few less animals in shelters.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I used to have a hamster named Scootaloo (I was going through a phase. Bonus points if you know what show I got the name from), and unfortunately didn't do enough research, which is odd for me. I ruined him after three months when I found out the enclosure I had for him was too small, and got my first handed mouse, Brisby! (Hand fed mice are a lot of work, think feeding a baby the size of your thumb with a paintbrush every 2 hours, around the clock, for a week and a half) handfed mice are sweet like puppy dogs, better than hamsters (I found them bitey).

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
To my grey, ....sadly it's still a mouse!
He's known to chase them down and.....weeeeeellllll......R.i.p...poor mouse.
:devil::wasntme:

OnO

Please do keep us posted on your journey to find a companion :)
You are very wise and mature to be doing so much research. Even a small pet such as a mouse or hamster is a big commitment, especially for a younger person.
If more kids were doing research like this I´m sure there would be a few less animals in shelters.

Thank you and I agree!
I used to have a hamster named Scootaloo (I was going through a phase. Bonus points if you know what show I got the name from), and unfortunately didn't do enough research, which is odd for me. I ruined him after three months when I found out the enclosure I had for him was too small, and got my first handed mouse, Brisby! (Hand fed mice are a lot of work, think feeding a baby the size of your thumb with a paintbrush every 2 hours, around the clock, for a week and a half) handfed mice are sweet like puppy dogs, better than hamsters (I found them bitey).
I’m sorry about Scootaloo (btw I don’t know which show the name’s from, but it sounds interesting!). Cool experience with Brisby!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I like hamsters too, so cute:xflove: Already have a bird though:lol:Never had one, but, as with all pets, research and you'll make a fine home for a lucky hamster:)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I’m gonna focus on persuading my parents for a hamster now. They would make the perfect companion before I figure which college I’m going to and my schedule to see if I have time for a bird. But for now, I’m gonna hold off the entire bird thing.

Reactions: tka

maddie miny

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
I personally love Syrian hamsters the most but a winter white was my first hamster. My favorite thing about Syrians was that the males were big lazy loafs of cuteness lol! The only issue with any hamster is that they can be bitey so you have to be careful and always use a homemade bin cage instead of those little ones from the pet stores. Good luck!

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I personally love Syrian hamsters the most but a winter white was my first hamster. My favorite thing about Syrians was that the males were big lazy loafs of cuteness lol!
I like the Winter White’s squished face lol
The only issue with any hamster is that they can be bitey so you have to be careful and always use a homemade bin cage instead of those little ones from the pet stores. Good luck!
Thanks for the insight!