• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hamster experience

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My nieces birthday is coming up and all she wants is a hamster. I’m considering getting her one (with her parents ok) but I know almost nothing about them lol.
I had one as a kid and she bit all the time. Then my friend also had one...who also bit all the time.
Yet so many people have them I figure they can’t all be biters.
Does anyone have experience with hamsters here who can tell me if they make good additions and can be friendly?

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Species
what species? Syrians are the largest so might be better for children as they are bigger. Though all of them are solitary and don't need company. They are active mainly at night which can be a benefit.

Enclosure
They are prey animals like birds so will tend to bite when being grabbed from the above. Their enclosure needs to be at least 450in (Squared) of unbroken floor space a 40 gallon breeder is what people go for but a diy bin cage is cheaper alternative. those wire cages are no good for hamsters and most cant get up the tubes (they're also a pain in the butt to clean). it is also easier to clean and has a wide open access point, meaning you don't stress the hammy out and can interact with it. it also means you can get good quality wheels, and provide more toys. hamsters also need around 6inches of bedding to borrow.

Carefresh is a popular choice as you can theme cages with colourful bedding and themed toys :laugh:

Enrichment
Wheel size needs to be around 10in plus for a Syrian and dwarfs can be smaller around 7-8in for wheel size. (NO WIRE WHEELS)
chew toys are a must, most bird toys are safe which is useful to note.
houses/hides need to also be big enough (female Syrians can get big).

Diet
fresh veggies every day but a only a little, and a good quality diet with added protein. (Higgins sunburst, vitakraft seed mix for hamsters).

I used to handle comet (male Syrian) everyday and he was the most sweetest hamster I have ever had, I also made sure to wash my hands as the smell of food can cause them to bite. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a hamster customer so I know they like to chew! But otherwise I'm clueless lol

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
@Jas thank you! I’ll take all of that info into consideration.

@Mizzely ditto lol.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Decades ago my daughter had a very friendly Siberian hamster. She/he did not bite and seemed to like being handled. Super cute, small, grey and white. I see online that the life expectancy is 18 months-2 years. :( I think ours lived maybe 4 years, didn't show any signs of illness but was found dead in the cage one morning.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
What age is your niece? Hamsters make great pets for little ones, but children need to be gentle with them. My siblings and myself have had about eight between us. and some bit and some didn't. I personally like the Teddy Bear ones.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
What age is your niece? Hamsters make great pets for little ones, but children need to be gentle with them. My siblings and myself have had about eight between us. and some bit and some didn't. I personally like the Teddy Bear ones.
She is going to be 14. She is also leaning toward the teddy bear ones. :)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
That is a great age for getting a little hamster! I thought she might be turning four and I was worried about the grip little ones have. That is so nice of you to be getting her one.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
My Daughter got her first hammy a few years ago for x mas. I also came here for advice. We ended up making a DIY cage out of an ikea drawer. It worked out very nicely! The way we picked out hammy was we went to the pet store and handled a few of them. One big teddy bear hammy bit the heck out of the pet store lady to the point it drew serious blood :omg: so that one was not for us then we looked at a tiny little

Djungarian hamster she was the most adorable little thing and didn’t bite at all. She even slept in our hands a few times. The only draw back was she didn’t live very long. Only about 2 years. My daughter was heartbroken when she died. She really spoiled that hammy while she had her though :heart:

Not sure what has caused the change in text but :think1:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My family had hamsters when I was a kid. They didn't bite but they were handled alot. One male and 3 females which my mum soon figured out should be kept apart at all costs but neglected to tell my brother and I. Each lived in its own aquarium with a chicken wire netting w/ wood frame over the top. They might be rodents but they are stupid - they'd jam the hamster wheel so they could climb to the top and free fall to the floor below. We had our fair share of high jinks with them. My brother & I tokk Mr & Mrs Tiggywinkle, Angela & ? for a picnic together and a couple of weeks later had 36 hamsters. Angela was named after one of Dad's sisters and she managed to get her teeth stuck in the ventilation grid at the bottom of the cupboard in the dining room. Another one had surreptitiously chewing a hole in the bottom of the sofa in the living room and was let out with her food pouches full. She was not coming out of her own free will so the sofa was turned on its back and we had to use the garage so there'd be no chance she got away. @ hamster pouches full of food can last a hamster about a week in case anyone wants to know.

While each of our adult hamsters lived in their own aquarium, there was a rotation on being let out to run around a room. Keep in mind this was 1960's in Uruguay.

Last edited:

Kokonut&Me

Meeting neighbors
I have a dwarf hamster. Unfortunately People way underestimate hamster care. The minimum is 450 square inches for us and Canada, but that's not gonna keep a Syrian, which are easier for kids to handle in my opinion. Whoever is gonna be the main care taker of the hamster needs to do a lot of research. I have a cage diy'ed out of a clear bin, and it's a little over 600 square inches. My dwarf lives really happily in it. I can give any advice you need. :) .

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
My family had hamsters when I was a kid. They didn't bite but they were handled alot. One male and 3 females which my mum soon figured out should be kept apart at all costs but neglected to tell my brother and I. Each lived in its own aquarium with a chicken wire netting w/ wood frame over the top. They might be rodents but they are stupid - they'd jam the hamster wheel so they could climb to the top and free fall to the floor below. We had our fair share of high jinks with them. My brother & I tokk Mr & Mrs Tiggywinkle, Angela & ? for a picnic together and a couple of weeks later had 36 hamsters. Angela was named after one of Dad's sisters and she managed to get her teeth stuck in the ventilation grid at the bottom of the cupboard in the dining room. Another one had surreptitiously chewing a hole in the bottom of the sofa in the living room and was let out with her food pouches full. She was not coming out of her own free will so the sofa was turned on its back and we had to use the garage so there'd be no chance she got away. @ hamster pouches full of food can last a hamster about a week in case anyone wants to know.

While each of our adult hamsters lived in their own aquarium, there was a rotation on being let out to run around a room. Keep in mind this was 1960's in Uruguay.
I meant they aren't stupid