• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

HALP! Sulphur Crested Too Questions

trinitymmgd1

Moving in
Real Name
Trinity Dewitt
To lay out a back story, almost two years ago I ended up with a Sulphur Too, Carmen. She was three when I got her, she had a bare chest, barbed feathers, chewed sores into her wings, a yeast and bacterial infection. She was on a wild bird seed diet with Captain Crunch (yes the children's cereal) and to top it off was kept in a cage big enough for maybe a Green Cheek. She immediately started medication, and was converted to Harrison's and as many new fruits and veggies as I could get her to take. She is now almost fully feathered and in quite good health. She's not often caged, when I brought her home to her new giant cage and toys she would pluck uncontrollably if I caged her, so I allow her to remain outside of the cage which caused an on top of the cage nightmare. She is now caged everyday while I'm away from home and seems to have appropriately adjusted.
Shortly after she came home with me I started to earn her trust and she would crawl down to me for snuggles during a movie or when I'd read to her (three hours daily), one day I noticed a moisture and sure enough she had a broken tail feather, I pulled the blood feather. Ever since then she has been fearful of me. I've exhausted all options to regain her trust. She will not bite me and has an obvious respect for me, but is still fearful. I started seeing someone and she has become his Velcro bird, (when she likes of course, ha). I now have a baby macaw and have agreed to allow my boyfriend and his bond with her flourish but I still try everyday to regain her trust. Anything from reading sessions, music, games, or training with no prevail.
I fear she will never trust me again and may even become aggressive as her bond strengthens. DOES ANYONE HAVE ADVICE FOR ME?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad you took her in and helped her become so healthy and happy! How frustrating that the pulling of a feather could set you back so much. How long ago was that?

trinitymmgd1

Moving in
Real Name
Trinity Dewitt
I would say it's been about a year since I plucked her blood feather, for the longest time I couldn't even figure out what had made her so terrified of me and then it dawned on me. I don't even mind that I'm not her person I just want to be able to approach her without her scurrying away.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4: