• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

half of Georgia's toenail ripped off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I don't know if this is a true "emergency" but Georgia is missing half her toenail on her good foot, no less. It looks like it is split down the middle and definitely ripped out of her foot, a little blood and maybe a littl swollen but she is using the foot. When she is resting she has that foot tucked up but otherwise she seems ok. I have no idea what happened. Her bad toe (that Chloe bit and broke last year) the nail on that gets really long because she cannot really grip with it so it doesn't wear down so I have to clip it often to keep her from snagging it but this was her good foot. Do you think she will be ok? Please advise..

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Carol,if there is no bleeding and She is using the foot-She will probably be OK! Just keep a really close eye on her-IF There is any bleeding/swelling or lameness You might want Her to be seen by a Qualified Avian Vet:hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing but needed the reassurance. I put her to bed and I will get up and check on her during the night, if anything is out of whack I will take her to my vet tomorrow, for certain.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You may want to wash it tomorrow to get rid of any bacteria that may be present. :hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
One of my Cockatiels toenails was ripped off (only just hanging by skin), I couldn’t get him to an Avian Vet ’til the next morning but I was putting flour on it every now and again because it kept bleeding. I was worried about infection, but no infection at all.

All the best for tomorrow; please keep us updated.

Micki

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Micki
Poor Little Georgia! Hope everything is OK. Banjo sends hugs to Georgia!

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
You may want to wash it tomorrow to get rid of any bacteria that may be present. :hug8:
I was thinking of washing it but I didn't want to make it bleed again. Should I try it with just plain antibacterial soap and water or something else? Either way do you think its ok to wait until morning to do this?

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
One of my Cockatiels toenails was ripped off (only just hanging by skin), I couldn’t get him to an Avian Vet ’til the next morning but I was putting flour on it every now and again because it kept bleeding. I was worried about infection, but no infection at all.

All the best for tomorrow; please keep us updated.
Thank you and I will update for sure. Luckily I couldn't find alot of blood anywhere just a little drop on the perch she was on.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Oh no poor Georgia :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I was thinking of washing it but I didn't want to make it bleed again. Should I try it with just plain antibacterial soap and water or something else? Either way do you think its ok to wait until morning to do this?
Yes, I wouldn't mess with it that night unless there was obvious bacteria in it. You want it to not bleed again. Also the initial bleeding could have carried away any initial bacteria. How is Georgia this morning? :hug8:

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hope all is better this morning.
Thank you she seem much better.

Yes, I wouldn't mess with it that night unless there was obvious bacteria in it. You want it to not bleed again. Also the initial bleeding could have carried away any initial bacteria. How is Georgia this morning? :hug8:
She seems much better today. No swelling, no bleeding and she is using it. I think she got lucky it could have been much worse. I will wash it a little today. She never goes to the bottom of her cage so it should stay pretty clean. I think Im going to skip the vet as it really does look pretty good. I will watch it closely. Of course I didn't sleep well and when I did sleep I had dreams of my daughters friend cutting herself badly and needing stitches while I was taking care of her. So I guess I had a guilty conscience.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Glad to hear that she is better this morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.