• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half-moon conures, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
I'm a little obsessed with half-moon conures, also known as orange-fronted conures/parakeets or Petz's conures. If I were to settle on one dream parrot, the HMC might be it.

Here's a link to a photo if you aren't familiar with them: Annie - Half-moon Conure - January 2, 2002

I'm curious if any of you have (or had) an HMC and what that experience is (was) like.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
When I was working at Petsmart we sold one, to another employee. She just fell in love with him. He was much like other conures, a real clown, high (ish) volume, loved his people.

He liked to come back into work (after she bought him) to visit us. He always seemed quite cheerful.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
My friend has a half moon conure and just loves it :)

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
Half Moons are one of my favorite conures - if we were to get another bird, they would be on the short list...they also have good talking ability for a smaller conure.

Allforbeaks

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anne
I have a halfmoon conure named Lance. He's great. He says up up, hey, nite, and blows kisses. He loves to swing and scream in his stainless steel bucket. Lance also loves to walk around my back and hide in my shirt. :dancing:

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
I have a halfmoon conure named Lance. He's great. He says up up, hey, nite, and blows kisses. He loves to swing and scream in his stainless steel bucket. Lance also loves to walk around my back and hide in my shirt. :dancing:
Could you post pictures of Lance? I'd love to see them. :cool10:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'm a little obsessed with half-moon conures, also known as orange-fronted conures/parakeets or Petz's conures. If I were to settle on one dream parrot, the HMC might be it.

Here's a link to a photo if you aren't familiar with them: Annie - Half-moon Conure - January 2, 2002

I'm curious if any of you have (or had) an HMC and what that experience is (was) like.
I had one for a short time years ago. I went into a bird shop to look at cockatiels and the owner talked me into this little half moon conure. He was adorable and a little clown. He was an adult bird. The shop owner told me if he wasn't what i was looking for I could bring him back and get a cockatiel. I brought him home and he fell in love with my husband. He would bite me hard, chase me and bite my feet and generally seemed to not like me at all. I asked my husband if he wanted him but he didn't want a bird of his own. I brought him back to the shop and of course the owner said that he had just bought all these birds and couldn't buy him back but that he would take him back for free and rehome him:mad: I said that was fine. I kept checking to see how it was going and it turns out he went home with a man and they loved each other. I think he preferred men in general because he was great and sweet with the guy who owned the shop which is probably why he thought he would be great for me. I think he would have been perfect for me if he was more comfortable with me or with women in general. This was about 15 years ago and I wasn't comfortable at all working through the issues.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
Many years ago, when I was in college, a friend of mine bought a pair of half-moons. She kept them in her dorm room -- her parents didn't know she had them and would probably have killed her if they knew. Of course, pets weren't allowed in the dorms. We had "house mothers" back then, so the main challenge was keeping the conures quiet when Mrs. DeBruin was walking on the floor. I don't think we succeeded very well, but Mrs. DeBruin never ratted us out and it was fun having secret parrots. :embarassed:

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Thank you for all of the stories, everyone :)

:heart: I just adore those HMCs... hopefully one day I'll get to share my heart and home with one :heart:

And I second Titanis: Anne, please post some photos or video of Lance if you can! He sounds like SUCH a trip :D

Status
Not open for further replies.