• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half male, half female bird

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How beautiful and special! :joyful:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Wow! So interesting.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That's what I thought of when I saw the photos too. From what I can tell it occurs by chance when "twin" budgies fuse inside the egg. So presumably if there is one of each gender you'd get something like the cardinal. :)
Makes you wonder how often this happens, only the two halves happen to look alike, so nobody notices.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It makes me curious if hens that lay double-yolked eggs are more likely to hatch out half-sider chicks. The fusion of zygotes that creates this type of chimera happens before the shell is formed, so perhaps not, but in order for two zygotes to be present, the female must have released an extra gamete, so perhaps it is a valid indicator.

Interestingly, this condition is not inheritable. Some half-siders are infertile - especially if the two sides are different genders. But if they are able to reproduce, the offspring will be normal with the same chance of producing another half-sider as any other breeding.

Half-siders are basically the true opposite of identical twins - instead of one zygote splitting into two identical babies, two zygotes fuse into a single baby, split down the middle genetically.

BirdWorld

It makes me curious if hens that lay double-yolked eggs are more likely to hatch out half-sider chicks.
That'd be interesting; when my hens were younger (their egg laying has started to slow down) they did at one point lay only double yolked eggs with a few sparse normal ones. It was quite interesting really. If they were fertile I would have gotten a whole lot of chicks :roflmao:

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
If i remember correctly this bird will have the genom of two different birds and in theory is its own brother/sister :).