• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahn's Spacing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I've been trying to find Honu a HUGE cage, but the majority with the dimensions I would prefer have 1 inch bar spacing. Is that too large for a Hahn's? It doesn't look too large, but I also don't want to bring a huge cage home and have it sit here useless.

What do you all think?

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I'm having the same issue. But I then remembered that the "previous" cage Mia was in (besides her flight) had 1 inch bar spacing. It definitely wasn't too big. She could NEVER stick her head through those bars, so as far as "safety" it's fine!
I did notice that she prefers smaller bar spacing for climbing purposes but she lived in the bigger bar spacing cage for about 6 months and she had NO complaints. She still climbed!

What cages are you still considering. I want a bigger cage for Mia in the next few months too!

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Well there was one on Craigslist right here in Orland that was 40 x 30 for $195 :eek: but it had the 1in spacing. Honu does love sticking his beak through the bars though...so I guess I'm a little worried about him finding a spot he can get it through. That does make me feel better hearing about Mia, but then it also depends on the cage make and how flexible the bars are too. Ugh....decisions decisions.

There is a brand new cage on ebay that is 36x28 with smaller spacing for 300 or a 40x30 for 400. Those are the only ones I have seen that large with less than one inch spacing. I suppose I'll end up with one of them to ease my mind. He's a stinker and I don't trust him one bit! :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Mia came NO where near being about to stick her head out.. though I agree it depends on the bars

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read that smaller birds can get a wing caught in 1" bar spacing. I wouldn't think that would happen often, but that's one reason I stick to 5/8 for my Hahn's...

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Now Honu actually got his shoulder stuck in the 3/4" grate he has now. He was rolling on the ground playing with a toy and got stuck that way. I would think that would happen less in a bigger space? :confused:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Now Honu actually got his shoulder stuck in the 3/4" grate he has now. He was rolling on the ground playing with a toy and got stuck that way. I would think that would happen less in a bigger space? :confused:
Well, from what I understood, with the wider spacing, it's easier for them to get their wings twisted sideways, and then they panic and hurt themselves.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I am in shock that Honu was playing on the GRATE!!!!! I'm fairly confident that Mia doesn't know what hers looks like even :(

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey Beth, glad to see you over here :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
;) I think I'm all caught up with the drama now.
LOL, I'm sure :D Now, we can all get back to talking about our fids.

You know, Andrea, sometimes if you order from King's, they give you the option of a couple of different bar spacing sizes. I know that doesn't help if you're looking at used, though :(

Hey, what just happened to my font?

Last edited:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
from experience an accident can happen in seconds and never how you envisage. So always best to go for the safe option and cover all the bases! only my opinion.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I've read that smaller birds can get a wing caught in 1" bar spacing. I wouldn't think that would happen often, but that's one reason I stick to 5/8 for my Hahn's...

Same holds true for a bigger macaw. The Double Macaw cage is 1 1/2" bar spacing. When Gra was inside the cage and I started to vaccuum or do something that made her want a bath, she'd start flapping her wings, and jumping around in the cage, several times her wings when through the bars of the cage and didnt get "stuck" or anything, but they when all the way through the bars of the cage and could've gotten caught.

I think the smaller guys are more safer in the larger bar spacing (as long as they dont get their head caught!) as their wings would be able to get back into the cage and back to their body, compared to the bigger guys.

With baby hahns and similar size birds Im around, they do quite well in 1" bar spacing.

Mercedez

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, that's nice and roomy, Joanna! Nice cage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.