• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahn's Macaws

Sandnsea4m

Moving in
Real Name
Claire Carter
I have searched for a Hahn's for some time on the East Coast and have found two at syayes quite a distance away that required weekly visits for bonding while the babies are still hand feeding. Ot isn't possible for me due to the distance. However, there is a very reputable place not far from me that has a baby Severe and I could go every weekend. However, I have not heard one good thing about them. Is there anyone who can give solid info about the Severe.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let me tag @MiniMacaw and @flyzipper I believe they are our only two current members that post that have Severes.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I can post more later, but I'd initially point out the size difference between Hahn's (140-170g) and Severe (370-450g).

Perhaps in the meantime, you could post what you've read about Severes that would lead to, "not heard one good thing". Depending your level of experience with birds, the negatives you've read may simply describe birds in general, but since Severes are larger than most, that alone would tend to amplify natural behaviours.

Disclaimer: I love my Severe, so anything I say should be viewed from that lens ;)

Sandnsea4m

Moving in
Real Name
Claire Carter
I can post more later, but I'd initially point out the size difference between Hahn's (140-170g) and Severe (370-450g).

Perhaps in the meantime, you could post what you've read about Severes that would lead to, "not heard one good thing". Depending your level of experience with birds, the negatives you've read may simply describe birds in general, but since Severes are larger than most, that alone would tend to amplify natural behaviours.

Disclaimer: I love my Severe, so anything I say should be viewed from that lens ;)
My only experience comes from growing up with a Nanday and an Umbrella Cockatoo and I do realize the size difference. My first choice is the Hahn's but, as I mentioned, I am 12 hours from the bird and cannot do a weekly visit. I have talked to some reputable breeders, including those who have breeding pairs of Hahns that have not laid, and all have said the Severe is great up until adolescence and then they typically become aggressive. It is hard to know what to believe as Birds have their own personalities but I tend to think with so many making thus observation, there is truth to it. I wouldn't want to get into a difficult situation that I couldn't correct if that happened.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have talked to some reputable breeders, including those who have breeding pairs of Hahns that have not laid, and all have said the Severe is great up until adolescence and then they typically become aggressive.
Bias is a thing, which is why I commented that my positive outlook about Severes should be scrutinized against my love for my Jericho, just as the negative comments from a Hahn's breeder should also be suspect (i.e. they want you to buy a Hahn's). I also have a sample size of one (Jericho).

If you search this forum for "Jericho" posts by me I've written about his background and my experience numerous times (most recently when he broke the foot of my little Marvin). He was an only bird for over 10 years before he came to me, and his previous caregivers gave him up because Jericho chased their grandkids. As you've commented, "birds have their own personalities", so it's difficult to know how much of this is nature or nurture. My theory is that, being an only bird for so long, Jericho learned to bond too strongly with his humans. That bond has transfered to me (in isolation, he's the "perfect" bird... with me), and we've been working on lessening it. Jericho has chased my other birds, and visitors, so it's in everyone's best interests to shift this bond to something healthier. It's a slow change to unravel.

All that said, over-attachment is not a problem that's exclusive to Severes.

Whatever species you end up choosing, it's best to avoid establishing a pair bond.

Serveres are large enough that these behaviours can be dangerous.
The very same actions from a Hahn's would be less so, and from a Military (my Oscar) they'd be even worse.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Regarding this...
I wouldn't want to get into a difficult situation that I couldn't correct if that happened.
You will encounter difficult situations when living with any species, so get as much experience as you can, and use forums like AA to lean on others when the going gets tough.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I keep coming back to size when thinking about Severe Macaws.

I have three very different species: small, medium and large, and this is my observation...

Everybody wants to interact with Marvin, nobody wants to interact with Oscar, and a few want to interact with Jericho.
  • Marvin is not an issue because she can't cause significant damage.
  • Oscar is not an issue because people don't want to interact with him (fear response).
  • Jericho is an awkward middle-ground where people want to interact with him and he can cause damage.
I've also observed that they may cross a threshold where things like pet-sitting and boarding will become more of a challenge, relative to smaller species.

1695850092894.png
(this seems arbitrary since African Greys are roughly the same size as many Amazon species)​

Sandnsea4m

Moving in
Real Name
Claire Carter
Bias is a thing, which is why I commented that my positive outlook about Severes should be scrutinized against my love for my Jericho, just as the negative comments from a Hahn's breeder should also be suspect (i.e. they want you to buy a Hahn's). I also have a sample size of one (Jericho).

If you search this forum for "Jericho" posts by me I've written about his background and my experience numerous times (most recently when he broke the foot of my little Marvin). He was an only bird for over 10 years before he came to me, and his previous caregivers gave him up because Jericho chased their grandkids. As you've commented, "birds have their own personalities", so it's difficult to know how much of this is nature or nurture. My theory is that, being an only bird for so long, Jericho learned to bond too strongly with his humans. That bond has transfered to me (in isolation, he's the "perfect" bird... with me), and we've been working on lessening it. Jericho has chased my other birds, and visitors, so it's in everyone's best interests to shift this bond to something healthier. It's a slow change to unravel.

All that said, over-attachment is not a problem that's exclusive to Severes.

Whatever species you end up choosing, it's best to avoid establishing a pair bond.

Serveres are large enough that these behaviours can be dangerous.
The very same actions from a Hahn's would be less so, and from a Military (my Oscar) they'd be even worse.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

Regarding this...

You will encounter difficult situations when living with any species, so get as much experience as you can, and use forums like AA to lean on others when the going gets tough.
I feel like the Umbrella was good experience growing up as they are very misunderstood. I am a WFH (remote) person, the only one in the household and my dog so I would have an extraordinary time to spend with a bird. The Severe is from a super reputable place and is actually the same price as the Hahn's that I did find up north that requires weekly visits which I am unable to do (6.5 hour trip one way, so 13 hours total).

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I too work from home, and have few visitors, so it's extra challenging to ensure Jericho gets well socialized with others and doesn't continue to be overly bonded with me.