• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns macaw - general info wanted

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
The first thing to check is his diet. With a proper diet his feathers should stay shiny and smooth - although as a baby he probably plays pretty rough.
I have him on strictly pellets and birdie biscuits during the day and give him fresh veggies and some fruit after work.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi sweet Buddy! Our little Hahns has pins and is mounting this time of year. Showers help with healthy feathers and do you give buddy any nuts, the healthy fat can help his sheen. What brand of pellets is he eating?

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
I use rowdy bush pellets. And I spray him down a couple times a week. How often should I shower him?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Like @Big Blues said, a macaw needs more fats than most other species, but you want that not to be bad fats. Saturated and monosaturated fats. You can give him some nuts - walnuts, pistachio, almonds, pine nuts, but never ever peanuts. Also RPO (Red Palm Oil) makes them shine like a new penny and is very good for them. You can mix some in his pellets (by the way that is an excellent pellet)

Many of us use this RPO; https://smile.amazon.com/Nutiva-Cer...id=1590954482&sprefix=red+palm,aps,201&sr=8-1

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Like @Big Blues said, a macaw needs more fats than most other species, but you want that not to be bad fats. Saturated and monosaturated fats. You can give him some nuts - walnuts, pistachio, almonds, pine nuts, but never ever peanuts. Also RPO (Red Palm Oil) makes them shine like a new penny and is very good for them. You can mix some in his pellets (by the way that is an excellent pellet)

Many of us use this RPO; https://smile.amazon.com/Nutiva-Certified-Cold-Filtered-Unrefined-Ecuadorian/dp/B00JJ1E83G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=N5SUXMMQJSYT&dchild=1&keywords=red+palm+oil+for+birds&qid=1590954482&sprefix=red+palm,aps,201&sr=8-1
Thanks I ordered some RPO. How much should I mix in his pellets? And how often? I only give a couple tablespoons of pellets to him everyday. He is not a big eater.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Give him about 1/4cc of RPO daily. Mix it with his pellets.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use rowdy bush pellets. And I spray him down a couple times a week. How often should I shower him?
A couple of times a week should be fine, I ensure our Jack is soaked to the skin. He just loves it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
About i/2 of 1/4 teaspoon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Actually, right now give him about 1/4 tsp. It can'y hurt him and the dosage doesn't really matter much.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks I ordered some RPO. How much should I mix in his pellets? And how often? I only give a couple tablespoons of pellets to him everyday. He is not a big eater.
Small macaws don’t eat much, just be careful that what you give Buddy what he will eat and not throw out. For healthy fats, recommend you vary the different nuts each day, you don’t want him gaining a lot of weight or not eating the pellets and healthy veggies and fruit. Pecans have the most antioxidants and recommend no peanuts.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Hi Everyone, happy Sunday,

Here is a good picture of Buddy's feathers I am concerned about. I took this this morning after a good shower and drying in the sun. Notice how separated the little quills or whatever they are called on each feather. The feathers just don't seem so soft and fluffy as all the other Hahn's I see on YouTube. I just don't know what is going on. I have been adding some walnuts and pine nuts (that have to be cracked because they are just too hard for him I guess) to his pellets with a tiny bit of that RPO oil that was suggested here. Buddy is 5 months old today and has been molting the last few weeks. I have about ¾ of a 16oz. solo cup full of his feathers :) I want to find some kind of clear container to put these in and keep them like my childs baby teeth. haha.
Anyway, I hope Buddy's feathers fluff up a some point because all tases Hahn's I see on YT are so beautiful and their feathers just look so full and fluffy. And BTW, how much sun out in the yard or in front of a window should they have each day?

IMG_0050.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They look like normal Hahns feathers to me :) Baby birds are rough on their feathers and don't maintain them as well as adults at first! Couple that with molting and many of those might get replaced soon.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Most I see look this. Soft and fluffy. I hope Buddy's feathers look better after he is done molting and gets to be an adult. They just don't look right to me now.

Hahnsmacaw.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My 12 year old Hahns (she passed away several years ago)

FB_IMG_1591450319057.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I too would say just baby bird feathers. Most people don't show pictures when they look scruffy. They want people to ooh and aaah about their birds.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A bird needs 15-20 minutes of unfiltered sunshine per week to maintain Vit D3. That can be in a shady spot, because remember from your high school physics class light rays bend.

He's going to be a beautiful Hahns - once he gets over being a baby Hahns.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
A bird needs 15-20 minutes of unfiltered sunshine per week to maintain Vit D3. That can be in a shady spot, because remember from your high school physics class light rays bend.

He's going to be a beautiful Hahns - once he gets over being a baby Hahns.
OK thx, I take him out in the yard 2 or 3 days a week and soak him good with a spray bottle and let him dry in the sun for a while before bringing him in so that should be enough sun for the week then?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Perfect.