• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns macaw - general info wanted

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
Hello! My SO and i recently joined this forum <3 SO's dreambird is a hahns macaw, so im looking to research as much as I can for them for that fateful day we are ready to bring such a loveable responsibilility into our lives. I know next to nothing about this bird! sources, experience, stories, tips-- anything is welcome! :flowbug:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you haven't already, read through this :)

Petals

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sayre
If you haven't already, read through this :)

Ive read through it, but will have my SO do so as well :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
My Hahns is a sweet loveable nippy little guy. Their bodies are small (a little smaller than a Quaker) but they have a big sharp beak and a big attitude. Sometimes Guiseppe likes to cuddle. Sometimes just hang out with you but no touching. And if you ignore his body language, that says I just want to sit here today, you will get a nip. He doesn't give lots of warning. Thank goodness most of the time when he is nippy he doesn't bite down hard.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Our little Hahns is so cute and active with a big active personality; an on the move boy. He has a buddy, a Yellow Collar macaw and they are adorable together.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
great bird, great personality very active they chew a lot and will grab for anything they can to destroy or play with. if you live in an apartment your neighbors may not like you very much though so consider that if you do. hahns are loud for a mini and squawk more often besides the dawn/ dusk usual. You can youtube hahns macaw squawks to get a clear idea just incase. besides the loud frequent squawks they are very affectionate and playful. mine has never bitten maybe a nip or two, as someone said you will be warned first, they love you too much to bite but dont push it. they dont seem to like kids, my daughters presence alone makes him go crazy (squawking). kids move too quick and talk too loud for them, you can work at these things however, im just throwing these issues out there for you to consider. other than the noise which im used to by now i wouldnt trade him for anything else.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
Here is my 12 week old “Buddy”. This boy is going to be smart. I just got him last Sunday and already got him target/clicker trained to spin around and lay on his back in my hand. He is going to be a joy to train.

A372EE76-2BDE-4D57-8F70-00350DF406B5.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hahns are too darned cute. They remind me of a tricky little elf that is always ready for a good laugh.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Also will you be separating the Macaw from your other birds (cockatiels specifically but budgies too) as they are old world and can harm the respiratory system of new worlds (your quaker and dream bird macaw) and macaws are extremely senstive to the dust they make too.
And good luck!

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
Here is my 12 week old “Buddy”. This boy is going to be smart. I just got him last Sunday and already got him target/clicker trained to spin around and lay on his back in my hand. He is going to be a joy to train.
I’ve had mine 3 years now and every day is different. they’re very intelligent, im still out there attempting to find out everything there is to know.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
I started a YouTube channel for Buddy. Have a look and please subscribe. I plan on putting up weekly videos of his training and learning tricks. Already he has learned to spin around, raise his wings like an eagle, and wave. This is really going to be fun.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Buddy is adorable.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwwwwww, Buddy, you are such a cutie, we so love our little chatty Jack.

mrjayd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John Dombrowski
So Buddy’s feathers just don’t look right to me lately. He has been molting the last month but his feathers just don’t look shiny to me and kind of ruffled all the time. He is just about 5 months old now. Does he look normal to everyone?

1B176A5B-3473-41F6-B6D1-361F061B8F62.jpeg 9BF8572D-F771-40BF-9D13-8ACAB38B96F1.jpeg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing to check is his diet. With a proper diet his feathers should stay shiny and smooth - although as a baby he probably plays pretty rough.