• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahn’s macaw baby

sav

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all. I just got my first Hahn’s macaw today and I’m concerned about its behavior. It is 7 weeks old and was handreared but i have to feed it 3 times a day on formula. The baby is very quiet and barely makes any noise and does not scurry away when I come near it. The baby does not appear frightened or affected by anything and lets me pet it or hold it without fear. I handreared a cockatiel before that was very nervous and loud and shy when I tried to hold it and I was expecting the same with my macaw. Is this normal behavior for a mini macaw baby? It also refused to eat dinner. I’m concerned that their might be something wrong but it is climbing a bit in his cage and walking but mostly remaining in the same place. I’m not sure if this calm and placid behavior is normal for this breed but I want to make sure the baby is okay. Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm sorry I can't help with answering your question. I'm posting to get your thread bumped up to the top again. Hopefully someone who knows about mini baby macs will come along soon.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Species*, not breed.

Your macaw is in a new environment so may be calm/quiet due to that. Please be sure to also ask the breeder since the breeder should know the bird best. If in doubt, it doesn't hurt to see an avian vet.