• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hagen Tropican Lifetime Formula

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
Hi Everyone!

Blueberry...my five year old male budgie's vet suggested that we try to convert him to Hagen Tropian Lifetime Pellets to address his seed junkie issues. BTW...he doesn't only eat seeds. I was wondering if anyone has used this pellet. He is flat out refusing ground up Roudybush fine pellets...I am also starting to try Nutri Berries for smaller birds. Thanks for the input!

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
We bounce around natural pellets a lot. Tropicans ones are pretty good, except for the fact that they smell like bubblegum. Don't have much experience with nutri berries

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I like Hagen :D I agree it smells like bubble gum. I've never had luck with Roudybush. If all else fails, I've had good luck with using Zupreem Fruity to getting birds to eat a pellet, then can usually transfer them to another pellet. My Jardine's is the exception :lol:

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Great idea with the Zupreem fruity! I know it's difficult to switch, but I don't give up on things easily! I put myself in Blue's place...How would I feel if what I was eating for five years suddenly was different?

I guess it's sometimes best to...Think like a bird would!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper ate Harrison's for years, then suddenly refused. I went through a half dozen pellets and finally found she would eat Caitec Oven bites. They are poop heads.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I use Tropican for some of my littles, though others won´t touch it so I get them a different brand.

Reactions: Ali

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Would you please tell me what other brands that you have had luck with?

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Harrisons are known as "the best", but some countries don't have it. Tops I've also heard good things about. My bird mostly eats chop with a bit of seed. :budgie2:

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
I know that Harrisons is like the Gold Standard in pellets. However, I guess it's going to be trial and error finding one that Blueberry will eat...Good Luck with that , right?

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Hagen pellets were recommended for my birds by breeders, but when I went to the vet a few months ago for my sick cockatiel Ember, they told me that the pellets were causing gas in her stomach according to some tests they ran, so we had to convert her to seeds and Harrisons.

If everyone else says it's fine then defiantly give it a try, because I'm still unsure if the pellets were a problem.

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I know that Harrisons is like the Gold Standard in pellets. However, I guess it's going to be trial and error finding one that Blueberry will eat...Good Luck with that , right?
Haha! The daily struggle. I read on here that budgies should be eating a mix of 30% seeds and 70% pellets? It might help if you put the pellets in a treat bowl. :grouphug2: :budgie2:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Have you tried making the pellets damp? My linnie, Iris, will nibble at them dry, but is much more interested when they are damp

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Yes...I have and Blueberry won't even look at it. I try to rotate the dishes that I put the larger quantity of pellets in with some seeds and he will go to another feeding station.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also try mixing them into chop if your little one enjoys veggies ;)

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
Would you believe that Blueberry won't eat chop in his cage. He only eats his chop at lunch with me. I will try the ground up Roudybush tomorrow to add to the chop. :joyful: I have a sample of Nutri Berries coming to me. I think also it's the time to try Harrison's High Potency Super Fine and also Zupreem Fruity and Naturals...of course, not all at once!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Would you believe that Blueberry won't eat chop in his cage. He only eats his chop at lunch with me.
That is not as unusual as you might think. Parrots are flock animals and instinctively enjoy eating with their "flock".

Keetie!

Real Name
Joanne
How true! Now I get it...no wonder he doesn't like to eat chop in the cage...it's more fun to fling it everywhere! :flowgdnc: