• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hagen Tropican HP biscuits to canaries

Piccione

Sitting on the front steps
Hello people!

I have a question for you.
I found out that Hagen does also sell this larger and flat pellets called “biscuits” for the high performance formula.

I was wondering if it could potentially be given as a biscuit treat to canaries or if they are way too hard for them to brake it and eat it.

I currently mix pelleted diet with veggies and some seed everyday.

In case the biscuits won’t work, could I use the tropican pellets lifetime 2mm? Do they work ok?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump4:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It´s a visibiilty thing. Everytime someone posts on a thread it gets bumped to the top of the What's new list. Many of us browse the forums this way and so ¨bumping¨ a thread with no replies on a few hours later usually helps as there are different people online and more likely someone will see it.

could I use the tropican pellets lifetime 2mm?
I use these for my lovebirds but I really don´t know if this formula is ok for canaries. Hopefully someone else knows the answer!

@finchly @Fife3000 @Destiny

Piccione

Ooooh thank you. Do you have any feedback on the biscuits though?

If not, I’ll wait for another answer!
Thank you ☺

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry, I´ve never even seen them. Maybe they don´t sell them in my country.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I don't know it the nutritional profile is suitable for canaries, but the biscuits themselves are far too large for a canary. They would need to be crushed prior to feeding.

You could also try crushing and wettting them to offer as a soft food. Never done this with that specific product, but it should work. Many birds, including canaries, like soft foods. Just don't make it too wet - a soft, crumbly consistency is better.

Piccione

Would mix the crumbs in egg food or in their chop? I’ll do that in case they don’t like it. Usually my canaries love to chew on hard food items so I was wondering if they would be interested in that. But if they don’t like it I’d definitely mix it with something else to make it more interesting!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes crush and mix in. Mine are little weirdos, I have to soak it and THEN mix it in. I'm not sure that should be their only pellet though. It might have too much fat.

Piccione

Oh no no not their only diet!
They eat a good seed mix, chop, fresh veggies and fruit, egg food everyday when moulting and every two weeks in the rest of the year. Occasionally I feed them boiled eggs (a slice with eggshells) and sometimes I give them those seed sticks as a treat. I recently discovered chia seeds sprouts and they work absolutely great.

In the last two weeks I discovered the extruded diet that could be added to offer them a variety. They don’t really like crunching them but if I ground them they like it way more. And they go CRAZY for the biscuits treat that’s why I was wondering if the bigger pellets from Hagen Tropican would work. But I’ll try that and if they don’t like it I’ll crunch them like normal sized pellets.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Gotcha. Another thing. Mine like is Goldenffeast Australian Blend. They can’t eat it all (some seeds are too big) but they can eat 90%

Piccione

I see it’s a verse le paga product. I use their canary seed mix “prestige” sold at the pet store. I also use the padovan mix if I can find it online on a discounted price (usually it was 5€ but with shipping is over 11€ for 1kg help). I wish I could try their premium mix too sometime, the pet store run out of the canary one.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
usually it was 5€ but with shipping is over 11€ for 1kg help
Check amazon. Sometimes you can get it with free shipping for Prime. Then get someone to order it for you, or sometimes you get the option for a free trial. Set the free trial up then buy bulk.