• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Had no idea febreeze was harmful...

macawww

Hit the Road
I've been using febreeze around my birds for years... and essential oils

Had no idea :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh no.

I believe fabreeze says on it not to use around birds (unfortunately most people do not read the warnings and directions of many products- I am a weirdo and do lol) - I recall it had some warning over 20 years ago that made me not buy it as I was concerned for my children, their frog, mice and cats health.
I actually love EO's but I have not used a drop of one since bringing birds back into my home.

The best you can do now is to throw them away and limit any further exposure of them.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Their feeble attempt at a warning is included below.

I have a problem with this for two reasons. First, they acknowledge their product is dangerous for birds, yet they're still encouraging its use. Second, I think its fraudulent for them to describe their product as an "air care product" -- air filters and ventilation systems are air care products, perhaps even humidifiers & dehumidifiers, but perfumes are not.

Like any other air care product, it’s best if you remove a pet bird from the room until the Febreze dissipates. Birds have smaller, specialized lungs and their respiratory systems do not respond well to air care, while your cat or dog can happily get their sniff on.
(source)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

I have a problem with this for two reasons. First, they acknowledge their product is dangerous for birds, yet they're still encouraging its use. Second, I think its fraudulent for them to describe their product as an "air care product" -- air filters and ventilation systems are air care products, perhaps even humidifiers & dehumidifiers, but perfumes are not.

Like any other air care product, it’s best if you remove a pet bird from the room until the Febreze dissipates. Birds have smaller, specialized lungs and their respiratory systems do not respond well to air care, while your cat or dog can happily get their sniff on.
(source)
I have seen many warnings that fabreeze kills cats who have come into contact with it while still wet. Hard to trust anything anymore.

macawww

Hit the Road

(source)
I do have a high quality air filter in the bird room and so I hope they haven't gotten any lung damage from it... I always knew about Teflon but thought febreeze was an air cleanser and good for them if anything. Ugh.

macawww

Hit the Road
Oh no.

I believe fabreeze says on it not to use around birds (unfortunately most people do not read the warnings and directions of many products- I am a weirdo and do lol) - I recall it had some warning over 20 years ago that made me not buy it as I was concerned for my children, their frog, mice and cats health.
I actually love EO's but I have not used a drop of one since bringing birds back into my home.

The best you can do now is to throw them away and limit any further exposure of them.
My mom is super into essential oils and makes me bird safe blends, or so she said... many websites have said birds may enjoy lavender, lemon or orange...

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The primary thing to know about air quality is that adding anything to it makes it worse. Full stop. No exceptions.

Source control, ventilation, and filtration are the trio for improved indoor air quality because they dilute or remove particle concentrations from the air.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Many essential oils are also harmful for cats and dogs and babies. Some are not recommended for use in children under the age of 5, some even as high as under age 12.

Biggest thing is we don't have concrete information on essential oil safety with parrots. We do know that the reason many things that are safe for us and not for birds is because of the differences in our respiratory systems. Essential oils are already super concentrated and not regulated, so it's hard to say yes, they are safe, especially knowing that many are not safe for other sensitive pets and people. Have I used essential oils before? Yes, and I do topically on my body and sometimes in the bedroom because I do have good results with them. But I use them as a medicinal aid for things like aches and pains, stuffy noses, etc. I do not clean with them and I don't use them to make the house smell good.