• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

H R Linnies

KJB

Moving in
Real Name
Ken Brown
Hi. Me again. It's been a while. Having set up a Colony of Celestials i have now started colony breeding Linnies. A breeder a few miles from me was selling all of his Linnies so i bought the lot. I explained to him my intentions to colony breed but he said i would get too many problems doing it that way, his way was to use breeding cages, one pair per cage. But i looked online for any tips and found a breeder in Holland who was colony breeding with success. I couldn't find anyone here in the UK. So i tried it and at first there was a few problems, mainly with where the nest boxes were situated so i adjusted it here and there and also 3 or 4 feeding stations placed as far apart as possible and after a year everything seems quite relaxed. Were just coming into spring here now in the south of the UK and already 2 pairs have started sitting. It's so much nicer to see them flying as free as possible but i know that can't be done with all species. So hopefully I shall be handrearing in a few weeks. I've never handreared a Linnie before so any advice would be greatly appreciated, although i have handreared lots of Cockatiels and Kakarikis.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Linnies are wonderful companions. How many birds do you have? Do you have a variety of colors?

You might want to post in Nursery Rhyme Drive to talk to other breeders and people caring for very young birds.

KJB

Moving in
Real Name
Ken Brown
I think Linnies are wonderful companions. How many birds do you have? Do you have a variety of colors?

You might want to post in Nursery Rhyme Drive to talk to other breeders and people caring for very young birds.
Hi. They are great little birds with good characters. I currently have 15 adults and one youngster that was born Autumn 19. I have greens and cobolt blues plus a couple of creams. I'll post in N R Drive re handrearing. Thanks.