• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

gym ideas??

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I have a clothes rack that I'm not using, and I want to put it to good use for my birdies!! But I'm stuck on ideas of what exactly to do with it. It's the same as the one in the photo. I'm planning on wrapping vet tape around the top pole and hanging boings, swings, and a climbing net from the top. But I really want to put perches on the side poles, but I have no idea how. I can't find any perches with attachments that would work. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!!!

81bvpC+EVML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is is SS or chrome plated? If chrome plated I wouldn’t use it for anything bird related.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd vet tape the top & hang stuff from it to make the ultimate play area.

Edited to add Shezbug's post just loaded. So this is if it passes muster. :)

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Is is SS or chrome plated? If chrome plated I wouldn’t use it for anything bird related.
it is chrome plated, but i was planning on wrapping the entire thing in multiple layers of vet tape so they wouldn't have access to the actual poles

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Definitely wrap the chrome well, but it'll also help them land & climb. I got lucky that mine came with two pieces that fit on the poles that're meant to hold ties, etc, so I didn't have to get crafty! :DYou could hold a cross piece perpendicular to a post and wrap it into the vet wrap. That should hold more or less & you could attach toys or perches to that.

I think I remember @Lady Jane and @taxidermynerd using a scarf hangers for their birds. Those look fun! :)

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I know this is wood, but does this give you an idea on how to use your clothes rack? Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.36.47 PM.jpg

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@je0409 Zooming in on your picture, it looks like there may be screws on the inside of the poles to hold the sections together. Could you replace them with the end of a perch? Or could something be attached using those screws to hold it in place? :chin:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I know this is wood, but does this give you an idea on how to use your clothes rack? View attachment 397073
Problem is that the clothes rack is only a single, so it’s fairly different to utilise- the doubles are so easy to utilise in many ways. Burt loves his one which has 3 SS shelf type things holding it together.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Problem is that the clothes rack is only a single, so it’s fairly different to utilise- the doubles are so easy to utilise in many ways. Burt loves his one which has 3 SS shelf type things holding it together.
That's a really good point.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
@je0409 I have another idea. - could you attach a big climbing net and use the clothing rack as a frame for the net?

What kind of bird? If it's a large bird, maybe you could attach a swing, like @Sparkles99 said. Or this from BeMoreBirds.com. Disclaimer - I don't not work or promote anything from BeMore, I just really like this design.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@je0409 I have another idea. - could you attach a big climbing net and use the clothing rack as a frame for the net?

What kind of bird? If it's a large bird, maybe you could attach a swing, like @Sparkles99 said. Or this from BeMoreBirds.com. Disclaimer - I don't not work or promote anything from BeMore, I just really like this design.
You should promote everything from BeMore lol… they’re one of our brilliant vendors! :)

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I didn't realize this thread got so many replies while I wasn't paying attention! lol. Thank you for all the ideas, a lot of you are much craftier than I'll ever be :laugh: I think faislaq's idea of using the holes on the inside (they're holes that you can push in the little button and it shortens the whole thing) to put perches in might work. I also didn't even think of using the vet tape like actually tape and attatching perches that way! Thank you to everyone that shared pictures of they're own creations. I've definitely got plenty of inspiration now!! This is going to be my two GCCs' (Kiwi and Goose) Christmas present, so it'll be awhile, but when I get it finished I'll post update pictures!! :)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it was my rack I’d hang a cargo net and a boing on it- both are great for exercise and entertainment- attach toys to the net and top of boing