• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guinea pigs set up

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I just changed the set up of my guinea pigs enclosure.
They had a 2 story house on the floor for the winter, with tunnels allowing them to climb down from their "apartment" to the floor but it's going outside now so I needed new tunnels.
The girls weren't very brave to try it so I just moved them down in the hay bath, they'll have to try find the way up again when they want some other food :D

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Do you like having guinea pigs? In the past, I've considered having them.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oooh I like the bunk beds bit :) Your piggies are so cute! More piggie vids please! :angel1:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you like having guinea pigs? In the past, I've considered having them.
they are cute and we've developed a bond, but I must admit I don't spend enough time with them. They poop/pee very often and everywhere, which is a problem when we want to cuddle with them or just let them explore the room. Thus they spend most time on their own in their enclosure inside or outside (I enclosed the underside of the trampoline, they get as much grass as they want and no cat can hop in :D Very satisfying!). It often feel bad about not spending as much time with them as with my tame bird, so I try at least to provide space and stimulation.
Now I know it is possible to tame and train them if one takes the time and effort, they are clever and very cute, my son wanted them since we couldn't have a dog, but it is not really the same.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oooh I like the bunk beds bit :) Your piggies are so cute! More piggie vids please! :angel1:
Bunk beds are a nice way to provide room in a little flat. I remember in 2007 when IKEA had a "go cubic" year with many ideas to use "forgotten space" like under the ceiling, over the doors and such. I always regretted throwing the catalog away, it was so inspiring! I like that my pets can climb and hide. In the case of the girls, they have the kitchen on the top, I don't think they would use that open floor if it wasn't for the food, and it's MUCH less mess that way! :angelic:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
they are cute and we've developed a bond, but I must admit I don't spend enough time with them. They poop/pee very often and everywhere, which is a problem when we want to cuddle with them or just let them explore the room. Thus they spend most time on their own in their enclosure inside or outside (I enclosed the underside of the trampoline, they get as much grass as they want and no cat can hop in :D Very satisfying!). It often feel bad about not spending as much time with them as with my tame bird, so I try at least to provide space and stimulation.
Now I know it is possible to tame and train them if one takes the time and effort, they are clever and very cute, my son wanted them since we couldn't have a dog, but it is not really the same.
Honestly, I was deterred by the poop. Funny thing is, I've had rats before and had no problem. A lot of people don't treat them well, so it's nice to see some who care:)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Honestly, I was deterred by the poop. Funny thing is, I've had rats before and had no problem. A lot of people don't treat them well, so it's nice to see some who care:)
the poop is not such a problem as the pee... Poop is mostly dry and don't smell, if they poop on the floor you just have to pick it up with a bit of toilet paper and that's OK. But if they pee on the floor, walk in it, their belly is soaked with it and they drag it all around :eek: They also poop in the pee, makes a nice mixture under my furniture and in any corner, since they like to hide... If I let them out in the living room, I have to wash the whole floor after them.:scrubfloors2:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
the poop is not such a problem as the pee... Poop is mostly dry and don't smell, if they poop on the floor you just have to pick it up with a bit of toilet paper and that's OK. But if they pee on the floor, walk in it, their belly is soaked with it and they drag it all around :eek: They also poop in the pee, makes a nice mixture under my furniture and in any corner, since they like to hide... If I let them out in the living room, I have to wash the whole floor after them.:scrubfloors2:
My roommate had one that went in his pajamas (while wearing them) and pooped in them:lol:
Sounds fun, I guess every animal has it's quirks. Can you get a leash and follow one around outside?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My roommate had one that went in his pajamas (while wearing them) and pooped in them:lol:
Sounds fun, I guess every animal has it's quirks. Can you get a leash and follow one around outside?
I enclosed the space under the trampoline so they can have some grass and run freely. It is also possible to buy a leash but I'm afraid I would spend most of my time entangling it from under the bushes where they'd hide so... :D

I didn't really get who was wearing the pyjamas the piggy did poop in? The guinea pig or your room mate?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I enclosed the space under the trampoline so they can have some grass and run freely. It is also possible to buy a leash but I'm afraid I would spend most of my time entangling it from under the bushes where they'd hide so... :D

I didn't really get who was wearing the pyjamas the piggy did poop in? The guinea pig or your room mate?
:lol:Roommate was wearing the pajamas and the guinea pig climbed in. That's the funniest miscommunication I've seen all week:rofl:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I'm late to see this but I love this so much! From the little I saw your piggies are A D O R A B L E, I miss having piggies!

AmberC

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amber
my friend got 2 female guinea pigs a few days ago!

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
I really miss hearing my pigs squeal of excitement when they heard me open the vegetable drawer in the fridge.