• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guinea Pig Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Would a Guinea Pig be okay by its self or would a "friend" be better?

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
They usually like to be in pairs, but one isn't gonna hurt. Just spend lots of time with it and give him treats and affection! :heart:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I know Guinea Pig rescues in my area always recommend that you keep them in pairs. In fact, they will not adopt out a single piggy unless you already have a friend for it at home.

I suppose it is very much like birds. It is a personal choice whether you can provide enough attention for one piggy or if two would be better.

I know that I personally will never keep a single type of pet again unless it is dangerous to keep them in pairs (i.e. some reptiles and fish).

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Okay, thank you! :)

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I just know that my three piggies have a ball together, running around and snuggling!

If the piggie started out on its own from the very beginning,maybe it would be okay, but if they are used to being with another, I think it might be hard for them. Mine are very social and enjoy any kind of company. :heart:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I just know that my three piggies have a ball together, running around and snuggling!

If the piggie started out on its own from the very beginning,maybe it would be okay, but if they are used to being with another, I think it might be hard for them. Mine are very social and enjoy any kind of company. :heart:
That's really good to know, ta!

Can you tell me more about them; if you don't mind. Just things like food, bedding, biting, affection etc.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Would a Guinea Pig be okay by its self or would a "friend" be better?
I would not get just a single guinea pig. Even though you spend much time with it, the guinea just doesn't connect to you as a bird would. So you can't substitute a guinea pig friend. What guinea pigs like to do is running around, chasing each other, fight over a piece of lettuce, chat, and snuggle. You can't do any of those :) If a guinea pig has a friend they are much more vocal and active and there is not much difference in taking care of one piggy or two.

Like with birds the pet store cages are to small. I suggest you go to this site here Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home to see how to make your own cage. They also have a good info on what size is appropriate. They also have an informative forum but it can get a bit heated and they don't care if they are friendly or not.

This site here has also very good info on how to care for a guinea pig and a friendly forum
Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig

As for diet, guinea pigs need plenty of good quality grass hay, pellets that are made from grass (like oxbow or kleen mamas). Lots of fresh leafy greens and vegetables daily, like variety of lettuce, peppers, tomato, carrots, herbs like parsley, coriander and basil. Don't give much fruit because of sugar content. And don't give much kale or cabbage because that can give them bloat and be deadly.

With bedding I use fleece. I put a layer of old towel and on top of that a layer of fleece. This acts as a diaper. The pee soaks through the fleece and into the towel so the area stays dry. You then have to sweep up the poop or use a small hand held vacuum. I change the cage once a week, I shake off the fleece and put everything in the washing machine.

This is the cage I made for them

Here are the girls in the cage when they where babies. I had to put cardboard so they wouldn't be able to stick their little heads through the grids.

Here they are all grown. They like to lie on the top of those little shelters I made so I had to put grids over the top so they wont accidentally jump out

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
That's really good to know, ta!

Can you tell me more about them; if you don't mind. Just things like food, bedding, biting, affection etc.
Herdis, your set up is so cute!!!! Where's all the poop?

I personally am terribly allergic to guinea pigs!:( SO I can't even hold them at all, but they are my daughters' pets.

We give them LOTS of veggies every day, (red peppers are great...they have lots of the vitamins they need) celery, carrots are some favorites. timothy hay which helps their digestion, and a good quality pellet. They really are piggies and would eat forever! I know lots of friends who have just one guinea pig, and they only give them the pellets. I notice they have a different piggie every year, so they are not lasting long. The diet is so important!

We line the cage (I have the same set up as Herdis...you can put it together in different shapes the way you want it)with newspapers and then put shavings in there quite deep so it can be scooped and cleaned each day. The whole thing gets changed once a week. I had a HUGE thing set up for them when they were younger, but now (they're around 5 now) they don't move so much, so we remade it to a smaller size.

Our piggies are not stupid! They used to come up to my daughers' room to sleep at night ina smaller night cage. They would climb up 2 flights of stairs and pass several doors and go straight into their room and jump into that night cage....all three running up in a line. It was so cute! Then we had to stop because of my allergies but now I wish I had taken a video of it!

In a way, they are a lot of work too, because they will get smelly if the cage isn't cleaned out. They squeak and make darling noises and definitely know who are the family members and have their favorites. :heart:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis

Herdis, your set up is so cute!!!! Where's all the poop?

I just cleaned the cage before the picture was taken... shsss :cool1:

I personally am terribly allergic to guinea pigs!:( SO I can't even hold them at all, but they are my daughters' pets.

We give them LOTS of veggies every day, (red peppers are great...they have lots of the vitamins they need) celery, carrots are some favorites. timothy hay which helps their digestion, and a good quality pellet. They really are piggies and would eat forever! I know lots of friends who have just one guinea pig, and they only give them the pellets. I notice they have a different piggie every year, so they are not lasting long. The diet is so important!

We line the cage (I have the same set up as Herdis...you can put it together in different shapes the way you want it)with newspapers and then put shavings in there quite deep so it can be scooped and cleaned each day. The whole thing gets changed once a week. I had a HUGE thing set up for them when they were younger, but now (they're around 5 now) they don't move so much, so we remade it to a smaller size.

Our piggies are not stupid! They used to come up to my daughers' room to sleep at night ina smaller night cage. They would climb up 2 flights of stairs and pass several doors and go straight into their room and jump into that night cage....all three running up in a line. It was so cute! Then we had to stop because of my allergies but now I wish I had taken a video of it!

In a way, they are a lot of work too, because they will get smelly if the cage isn't cleaned out. They squeak and make darling noises and definitely know who are the family members and have their favorites. :heart:
too bad you have become allergic :(

They are so cute and make adorable noises. One of my piggies has started to chirp, and often does so at night waking me up (although they don't sleep in our room we often sleep with the bedroom door open)

As Monica mentioned the grass hay is a really important part of their diet. If they don't get hay they will get swellings in their intestine witch eventually leads to death.

They are little pooping machines :)

If you use wood shavings be careful not to use cedar shavings as it is poisonous to guinea pigs. Best if you can find kiln dried pine shavings. The oil in fresh pine and cedar is very unhealthy for their respiratory system.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Very good info Herdis! I also made a C&C cage for my piggie, the more room the better! I never use shavings for my piggy or my bunny, I also use towels or fleece (lots of cleaning though). I don't know if it was mentioned but guinea pigs really need vitamin C as they do not make their own they have to get it through the food they eat, so its important to offer for example oranges on a daily basis.
I miss my piggie, rip:(:heart:
Oh like everyone has said they are happiest in a same sex pair or a group (they can be neutered). I'm also allergic and can't hold on to my face to touch the urine.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Beautiful piggies, cages, and great info Herdis! I am violently allergic to piggies - I can't touch them without getting coated in hives, and being near them makes my eyes puff up and water. But I do love them and it's SO refreshing to see some with such excellent care - hats off to you!

To the OP: definitely don't keep a piggy solo. They are a social species so go with the good advice here and get a buddy for your piggy! :)

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I just have one piggy. He's a rescue with a skin condition. Pigs can be on care fresh or aspen litter. Timothy or oxbow hay is the best for them along with fresh fruits and veggies. Pellets are good, but limited. The hay is the most important as it keeps them chewing on their back molars to keep them ground down. If the back molars grow to big, they will have to be ground down at the vets. Chew toys are good for them also. My pig and my bunnies like the edible tiki huts and logs. Good luck.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thanks everyone, especially Herdis, for all the great and helpful information. :hug8:

It won't be until June, but I'm wanting to get all the info I can before then!

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
just send me a pm if you have any questions :) I know people in Australia sometimes have difficult time finding grass hay for their piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.