• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guinea pig people...

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So my birthday is coming up ( in April) and I really don't want a lot of physical things, I got everything I wanted for Christmas. But for the longest time, I've wanted guinea pigs. So I'm trying to convince my dad that I can handle them.

He gives me money every year, 1 or 2 hundred dollars. I have about 250 dollars saved up right now. I have my eye on the critter nation 2 story cage, would that be big enough?

What kind of foods do you feed? What brands? What kinds of veggies and how much? I read that they are herbivorous. What kind of bedding? How about hay?

What kind of stuff do they like to play with. Are their tastes like birds? I have lots of bird toys with wood and such, that Chirp will never play with. I've noticed that they're pretty shy, do they like lots of hides?

I also read that they are social animals, so I'll be getting 2 if my dad says yes. And how do you tell males from females? I don't want any babies!

I have lots of questions. It's not an issue of it I'm responsible, I am the sole caretaker of all the pets (the bird, the frog, and the fish) except for the dog.I

So guinea pig people, I'm asking for your help.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Yay!

Just make sure you dont get opposite sexes, they’ll multiply like crazy. They need their pellets and hay at all times, fresh veggies. They’re prone to scurvy, just like us!

The more you have the worse the smell. Just telling it like it is, they (pee) stink. You will be buying bedding like crazy..I use fleece for the cages and have several sets to wash. They’re called fleece flippers.

They love hides and running up and down ramps. They really need a good amount of room to run and jump.

These are the cages I use
Guinea Pig Cages Store

These are the flippers I use for the cage (fleece flippers)
Guinea Pig Market - Fleece Flippers, Cage Liners, Cozies for Guinea Pig Cages

They’re one of the most entertaining pets to own in my opinion and just a joy to watch!

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
From pig sitting my sister’s two GPs, their bedding gets pretty smelly after four days or so. There is a bedding that’s like puffy packing peanuts that my sister bought. No good. When when pigs move around, so does the bedding, exposing the floor. You want something that lays flat.

Madeline peed on me as I was sitting on the bed, but I managed to keep the pee off the bed. GPs are a nice pet to have, but too much work. The birds keep me busy enough.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Do you think that 2 could live happily in the Deluxe covered small narrow loft cage? Measuring 30" by 44" assembled , with a ramp and a little loft. Says there's about 7.5 square feet of space on the bottom level.

Eta: I don't think this will work out with space. Our house is kind of small. Nevermind. Maybe I'll ask in another thread about hamsters. They would be more suitable to out situation.

Last edited: