• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Guide to Poi body language?

Kanokoro

Moving in
Real Name
Kano
Does anyone have any links to information/resources on poi body language and how it may vary between the different species (or firsthand experiences with them)? They all seem like such sweet birds so I'd love to learn more about them!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
My red-bellied displays pretty stereotypical general parrot body language, honestly... nothing really stands out as being all that uniquely poi. :shrug: She's an expressive and easy read for sure.
Nonetheless, here's what I have visuals for:

When she's excited (usually on seeing a favorite toy), she does a really exaggerated head bob - not like regurgitation, but... nodding, I guess.

Relaxed means it's time for Orb Mode.

If agitated, she'll fluff her hackles, hold her folded wings out, and click her beak rapidly while swaying her head side to side like a snake. Always gives ample and clear warning to back off.

When curious about something, she'll stretch herself very long or tall, often rising up on her toes.

Wants scritches? Head down and neck feathers fluffed.

Kanokoro

Moving in
Real Name
Kano
She's absolutely adorable! Thank you for sharing ♥

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One behavior that I've noticed is bird puffed up, wings out and swaying back and forth which means I'm angry so stay away from me or I'll get you.
Only two of my Pois do that, my Senegal and one of my female red-bellied parrots. Senegal Jake generally only does that when the dogs go into the bird room. He is not
a fan of the dogs. Claudé has an attitude and sometimes she just doesn't want to be bothered.

jake2.jpg
Jake

There's also the "infamous" red-bellied parrot frozen statue position. This generally occurs when they are frightened or stressed. It's a protective stance because
if they are not moving then the "predator" might not hone in on them.

seti.jpg
Then there is the intense red-bellied parrot stare as demonstrated by SETI.

sophie 4-19a.jpg
Here is Sophie being inquisitive and curious. She stretches her body similar to what @Feather 's Zyda is doing in the photo she posted.
My other red-bellied parrots also do that.